Thread: Buying DVD +r -R RAM etc

Buying DVD +r -R RAM etc

Hi all.

So I've just purchased my first ever DVDRW. Where have you been for the last decade you might ask - well I simply never really needed one, but lately have found more and more need, so I figured why not. Last time I considered one, the "cheap" ones were around £140, and I've just bought a rather decent looking LG one for £25 delivered; can't argue really.

In fact it's THIS one.

Now I know I could probably do a bit of research online and learn how the whole deal works, but I don't really care enough to, nor do I have the time to read what makes a DVD R +/- etc, so I figured I'd ask here.

Which DVD Rs do I want to be buying? There's "-" ones and "+" ones and all different sizes etc, are there "standard" ones or is it just down to what size you want?

Also are DVD RAM disks worth getting? I'm about to read up on those as they sound rather useful and I might invest. But it's mainly the -/+ thing I don't get. Any advice welcomed - I'm gona get some on Ebay most likely, just so you know. Again I know this is a lazy post so I apologise, but I'm off to work now.

Cheers,
    too_much
    Eh?

"Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

DVD Ram are good for data backups and archiving. They are expensive, but worth the price over regular read-write disks.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Thanks for the link

The only RAM ones I found (only looked briefly, no time) were like 9.4gb - can you get bigger ones? They sound **** useful for before a reformat...

Thanks again,
    too_much
    Eh?

i don't know of many people that use DVD-RAM.

if you need something bigger than 9G, i'd just get a usb hd. Bluray and HD-DVD are too expensive.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You will need to test your drive for compatibility with several different manufacturers of each type of blank media.

I found that nearly any DVD -R works better in my drives than many of the high end DVD +R blank media.

Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    I found that nearly any DVD -R works better in my drives than many of the high end DVD +R blank media.
    I found this to be true with an NEC 2500A (older DVD drive) and a Lite On that I had. The Lite-On just died so I don't remember the model.

All of the players I have at the moment also work better with my DVD-R's so that is a plus for me right now anyway.
    -- Mathias

There are differences in quality of DVD blanks. I'd stick to something that had some sort of quality name on them. I'm partial to Ritek/Ridata, although I'll use whatever if the price is right.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

If you have compatibility problems, check for a firmware upgrade. check for reviews of the drive BEFORE you buy.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/

http://www.cdrlabs.com/

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    I worked out that I could buy 7 or 8 +r/-r rw's for the price of 1 ram

Kinda easy to swap disks innit