View Poll Results: Is Vista really ready to be installed via upgrade?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! the upgrade works as well as XP.

10 33.33%
  • No! I've had nothing but issues.

5 16.67%
  • I don't care! I'm not moving until SP1 is released

13 43.33%
  • I don't care! my next OS upgrade will be open source\mac. The devil take Gates.

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vista - Is It Ready Yet?

Vista - Is It Ready Yet?

So it's been out a couple of months now & I've just recieved the free upgrade disk for my HP Pavilion (Home Premium 32bit) & a new Driver\BIOS disk! but is it worth taking the plunge yet?

I've run the advisor and it says Nero7 & Roxio7 may have issues - but try to install them after the upgrade! I'm also a little worried about my Toshiba BT Stack working - I use that all of the time to sync my Mobile phone.

just wondered what "unforeseen" issues others have suffered whilst upgrading.

I'm currently backing up my laptop over a network & expect this to take a while to fully complete - and I'm in no particular hurry to start the upgrade process.

Lets hear of your horror stories, minor hiccups and "Big Brother" experiences.

thanks
    Last edited by Strawbs; 03-24-2007 at 02:26 PM.

I think if you just look through the various threads posted here you'll find that it's a mixed bag. I'm waiting for the most part. Too many glitches for me to want to jump right in, not to mention the cost of the thing? Who does MS think I am, Bill Gates?

I've been using it for a few weeks now; as has my son. I had the problem of it not recognizing my SATA drive as a simple drive after a clean install of Upgrade Premium. I have a lot of things turned off; i.e. firewall, windows defender, IE protected mode, user account control etc. I have 1 GB of RAM and find that Vista uses 350-400 MB of it with it's services and an AV and firewall running. It is a bit of a memory hog and can bog down if I do too much at once. It does seem to have a few minor problems; but I'm not sure if it related to apps not getting along with it. Occasionally it will not autostart my firewall and The Proxomitron. I just need to use the config utility and apply settings and they are restored. I run it on selective start up. Other than that; I quite like it. I don't find myself booting into XP any more; and neither does my wife. My son likes it on his pc. I do like the fact that if you delete temporary files in IE7 that it actually deletes them.
    When I did the install; Vista did a better job than XP at finding and installing all drivers for my pc. Vista also did a better job of finding and installing drivers for removeable and USB devices that I have.
    I do find that I would like a bit more control over things as I was used to XP Pro; and I will probably upgrade to Ultimate in the future.
    There were 2 of us ( the other being JediofDarkness) that had the simple drive problem; they were both Seagate SATA drives and I haven't seen anyone else here say that they had the same problem.
    Over all I like Vista and would not hesitate recommending it to anyone with 1GB of RAM or more and a fairly new pc.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Ultimate Member
    Not quite yet is the answer your lookign for i think.

Nvidia has more or less admitted they wont be shipping a decent driver until the end of April (although if you ask me, Nvidia wouldnt know a decent driver if you slapped them in the face with one on recent form).

There are still a few underlying issues to be sorted out before i could safely reccomend an upgrade to anyone

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Ultimate Member
    Not going to touch Vista anytime soon.
    XP works well, all things considered and
    most of the bugs are out of it. Of course, in
    a few years, a lot of apps will be out in 64 bit
    form and they will likely work much better, especially
    the very graphics intensive ones.

I suppose if I am going to be selling it and fixing it that I should be using it and learning more about it, but that's the only reason that I can come up with for having it.
    I have several XP machines which I don't mind and one Vista machine which I tend to avoid but my personal workstation is still W2K; it's so light, so clean and so solid....
    no wonder it is still the main workhorse of corporate America.
    So, yeah, I will be migrating but may have to do so without the requisite enthisiasm.
    Longhorn is just a tavern found between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. It's just there to take our money and keep us entertained until we reach the next technological peak.

I've decided that since I will almost certainly eventually bite the bullet and install this freebie, I might as well get ahead of the game and do it sooner rather than later (my curiousity will be the death of me one day).

I have 3 desktops & a laptop with XP on them, the laptop might as well have the latest if it works as well as some people have suggested and still connects to the others.

if I don't get on with it - I always have my recovery disks & everything else is backed up all over this house.

I'm going in! Wish me luck.

I'm waiting. The main reason is I want to buy Vista the next time I build a PC. I will keep XP for my current system. It's more than adequate.
    -- Mathias

OK! I'm typing this from Vista! The "Upgrade" actually formatted my C:\ & gave me the option of choosing a different partition.

It seems a lot different than XP and finding my way around is time consuming. I think I'll need a good couple of days before I decide whether to keep this or not.

incidentally: I had to download a "validated" xp update for my old machines before the Vista lappy would see them on a network! what's that about - big brother stuff???

more later.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 03-27-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Ultimate Member
    The only way I will try Vista at this time, is if it comes with a new computer.
    Or when I go to the Microsoft event on April 10 it might be included in the
    goodies bag ... we will see .. I know MS was giving out legit full keys for
    Office 2007 Pro and Groove 2007 at other events.

Simply not ready for prime time at all..

As pretty as it is, at this point in time it's simply the goose that laid the big stinky turd.

I'm running it on a high end machine with a dual core proc. and plenty of high speed ram...It's fast...it's responsive...but it's incompatible with way too much of the software I use on a daily basis. I'm simply going to put the shiny Vista Ultimate disc back in it's case and wait till they figure out how to fix this OS thats still in beta as far as I'm concerned.
    Most people think,
    Great God will come from the skies,
    Take away everything
    And make everybody feel high.
    But if you know what life is worth,
    You will look for yours on earth:
    And now you see the light,
    You stand up for your rights. jah!

I love it....would recommend it to anyone....

ALthough the flash player on IE7 doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb
    The only way I will try Vista at this time, is if it comes with a new computer.
    Or when I go to the Microsoft event on April 10 it might be included in the
    goodies bag ... we will see .. I know MS was giving out legit full keys for
    Office 2007 Pro and Groove 2007 at other events.

It's not as power hungry as people first though it would be

I think I'm through with Windows. Mac just has one OS, not upgrade this and that pay another $100. Too complicated.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

Well, after a few weeks messing around inside the new OS, I feel it works as well as Vista - If you have the hardware to run it.

it can get a little intrusive when you're installing programs and such, but that isn't going to be a problem for the average user once everything they need is up and running.

my biggest issue seems to be [at the moment at least] the changes in they way explorer handles drag n' drop... which it doesn't!!! it just seems to want to close\exit every time I want to move\copy a file by dragging! I have to use the right-click menu to get anything done and it ticks me off no end. I think I must be missing a setting somewhere, because I can't believe that MS would discontinue such a simple method of moving files around. I use drag n' drop all of the time with my music files or downloads and my folders are starting to get messy.

Also I would prefer to have access to "C:\ documents and settings" in explorer, but "access is denied" without so much as an error code.

these two gripes may not seem like much to moan about, but to me they are huge ommissions that may be enough to force a return to XP.

we shall see.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 04-13-2007 at 09:39 AM.