View Poll Results: Is Vista really ready to be installed via upgrade?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! the upgrade works as well as XP.

10 33.33%
  • No! I've had nothing but issues.

5 16.67%
  • I don't care! I'm not moving until SP1 is released

13 43.33%
  • I don't care! my next OS upgrade will be open source\mac. The devil take Gates.

2 6.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vista - Is It Ready Yet?

I am staying with 03 myself. Nothing really grabs me about 07 at all.

Ultimate Member
    Well I am glad HP has an update for the HP7410 All In One
    I just bought one about 1 month ago from Office Depot for
    a cost of $215 tax included after in store coupon and mail in
    rebates. I will be using it with XP Home but it is good to know
    the Vista Software is available if I ever decided to go to Vista.

Ive got it on 2 machines, mine and my wifes. I have very few issues anymore, still cant use the printer as it is a network printer in a differant workgroup and I cant seem to point the install to it.

Drag and drop is fine here, im still using office 2003 myself.

Had trouble for a week or so browsing the network as the vista machine would always substitute the machine name in front of my user name and then I couldnt log onto the remote machine as the user name and password was wrong. Got that fixed now and how. Did a registry tweak from M$ that they didnt recommend and now I can browse the network and get on all my other machines with no user name or password required. Not real secure I suppose but it will work for now.

Any other issues with software and what not are taken care of by VNC.
    to many pc's to list

Amazingly, Vista has worked great for me and I prefer it over XP.

I have a mediocre HP laptop, single-core 2800+ Sempron, 512MB of ram, and integrated 64MB graphics. Vista Ultimate runs very smoothly, is fast and responsive, and I LOVE the search feature on the start menu... plus I love how when you close windows, they kind of swoosh away and dissolve. Aero runs perfectly for me, even with pretty low-end graphics, and the computer is responsive and runs great even with 4-5 apps open. Unlike XP, the only thing I had to install drivers for was my sound card (in XP, my wireless, sound, and graphics did not work when I did a clean-install). I've read about tons of people who hate Vista but it has been wonderful for me, and I love the eyecandy. I also like the new networking features, and my wireless connection doesn't drop every 15-20 minutes the way it did in XP.

My drag-and-drop works fine, btw.

OK! quick update.

I've solved the explorer exiting issue when drag n' drop, it's working fine now! I've also learned that the Documents & Settings folder in explorer isn't in fact a "folder" at all - it's just a directory junction or shortcut (a redirection to a folder that has a different name in Vista), so editing stuff like the start menu is entirely possible if you know where to look.

I'm getting there slowly folks.

Ultimate Member
    I had hoped to be fully migrated by now, but it seems that Nvidia are still struggling to find their backsides with both hands with their drivers, where both Vista and XP are concerned.

I'll be with XP quite a bit longer methinks

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

It's not that the upgrade works as well as XP, it's that vista upgrade works as well as a vista clean install, since unlike previous upgrade installs it's actually the same process.

However, how well vista works at all is very debatable.

I won't use vista until it has a service pack out.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

In a similar vein to all MS O/S's I don't think Vista will be anymore ready than the others were until MS is done with it ( read not supporting any longer ) and then they'll come out with yet another totally different O/S that won't work for poop like they always do.

I have to say that I'm surprised how well this OS is working after ironing out my few personal hiccups - just one left (need to find the right driver for my bluetooth dongle [I have so many incarnations saved to disk]).

If I didn't get the free upgrade I wouldn't buy it though! mainly because I don't "see" that much of a difference from XP MCE which was running on this laptop previously! I had installed "Flyakite OSX" and the candy with that is as good as Vista's, Aero doesn't really impress that much.

The new filing system's safety features seem to be very well hidden, and for all the boasting about improved security - I don't "feel" any safer than previous to the upgrade.

my conclusion is: If you're happy with XP, you don't have any security issues & you just want the candy - stick with XP & download FlyaKite OSX, the "Aqua" theme is just as good as Aero, but the pop-out sidebar works better that Vista's static ****.

I might as well run with Vista on the lappy, but the desktops around the house will forever remain XP - or until the time comes to replace them anyway.

thanks for your views and input guys! I appreciate it.

The best looking thing about aero is the 3D desktop. But it is the darn useless one. I used it at the beggining because it looked cool. But it's just ferking useless!

it's bizarre how ms restrict the software so much you cannot have a mixture of transparencies and still have a theme you want to use and look at! You get a bizarre choice of having to choose all or nothing.

Besides, aero is years old tech anyway, comparing it to compiz there is simply no comparison and yet vista needs a gig of ram to run properly. There should be no reason why at first boot on a clean OS you're using 400meg of ram and have had over 8 gigs of hard disk space written to.

How is it years old if it came out in 07? It may have been developed a while ago. But it has only become available recently.

The technology behind it has been around for ages in other operating systems.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y

6.10 refers to october 06, and all Vista does really is transparencies (the other stuff the windows no longer are "live"), which have been around in X (unix/linux windowing system) in some form for over 5 years!

Vista is so far behind yet takes up so much more memory doing it. I can reproduce effects from that video on my barton 2500+/512MB DRR yet vista is extremely sluggish on less than a gig of ram.

Vista is out-dated tech whose hype is quite simply embarassing to listen to.

Nice video