Thread: Another Vista issue

Another Vista issue

Hello I have searched for a fix for a few days and hoped you might be able to help or at least tell me I can't do this. We are beginning to move toward Vista as we buy new PCs but we have to use Access 97 as it is the only version that works with our Accounting and Sales Software which uses mainly Foxpro tables. Office 97 installs fine on Vista Home Premium but when I go to install the Office 97 Service Release 2 or 2b I get an error message stating "the patch did not complete successfully. For more information, see the log file. Bla..Bla bla. Contact technical support for assistance" I read through the log file and it seems to fail when trying to fonts into a temp Directory. I changed a few of the permissions on several fonts and the install seems to go further but there are so many fonts to take ownership of and just doing the Font Directory doesn't seem to do the job. I appreciate any input you can offer. I found that after the fonts it starts into system files so I really don't want to have to take ownership of those. On a side note would Slipstreaming SR2 into the installation of Office 97 maybe allow it to install? If it is possible how would one go about doing such a thing. I have created Slipstreamed disks for Windows 2000 Pro and SP4 and XP Pro with SP2 following links from here but I cannot find any info here or on Google to accomplish this.
    Sorry for windy post but I am trying to get all info you need to assist me.

Thanks
    Will

have you called Microsoft Tech Support to help you with Access 97?
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Access97 is not on the Vista support list, so you should stick with your old OS if you insist on using legacy software.

Office 2000 was also left off the list.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like Vista is NOT in your future until you upgrade the accounting software.

You will have to run parallel systems like a lot of companies do when they find compatibility issues such as this.

Thanks for all the replys. I kind of figured that and I just ordered a copy of XP to put on the new Dell I just got on Monday. It is too bad MS had to screw things for the small businesses, too many companies cannot afford to upgrade their systems across the board.

Anyway thanks again.
    Will

How's this?

Unsaid in the current evolution of Windows is the fact that 32-bit operating systems cannot address more than 4GB of RAM. It just so happens that Vista's "sweet spot" is exactly that. Now, what happens when your video card has 512MB of VRAM and you go over the top? Can Vista use it? Will there be unexplained glitches as a result?

Ever wonder why Microsoft is so generous as to provide the 64-bit version of XP and Vista for free? Get ready, people - the 32-bit OS is obsolete as of January 2007. There will be no more Win32 versions for consumer use after Vista. The only 32-bit versions will be embedded and portable (special purpose).
    MS MCP, MCSE