Thread: pc tech needs help with apple LOL

pc tech needs help with apple LOL

So yea, i've been working with pc for years now and currently working as a pc tech also. But now i have to learn how to work with mac. :/ , I can't seem to format and reload os x tiger. This is an apple laptop that was dropped off at my work place for reloading os x. There is a login password require and it won't boot to cd to detect the os x install. This macbook pro has an intel core 2 duo, can't see and model # around it. Why dont' I get the password from the owner? well the owner dont' remember the pw, and she wants it wipe out with a clean install. thx in adv =)
    L8z
    ~LILAZNDEVIL~

Insert OS X disk 1, Hold down the D key as you boot the OS. Select "Boot from Disk"..or something along that line. When you get to the install screen, it will want to 'Update, or Upgrade'. There's an icon there for 'Advanced', click it and choose 'Complete Install'...or something like that. It's on...page 96 or 98 of that 'manual' it comes with. IIRC that was about it. If not, I know this is gonna sound silly, but RTFM.
    Right about the time I took an IT Director position, I also had to learn mac. To tell you the truth (shhh...don't let anyone here know this), mac is so much easier than a pc. Simplistic, from a power standpoint however.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The installation guide only tells me how to install from desktop, but I can't get there. Btw, I've ask the other tech in the shop for help and no go LOL, we're helpless. Can't get linux or os x to install from cd.
    L8z
    ~LILAZNDEVIL~

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Have you contacted Apple for tech support yet?

eh...It's the C key, not the D key. D is for hardware test.

...have you cracked open the manual yet?
    Look at page 93 to reset the password.
    1. Insert Mac OS X install disc 1, then restart your computer and hold down the C key as it starts up.
    2. Choose Installer > Reset Password from the menu bar. Follow the isntructions on the screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We already tried C and D key, but no good, the owner does not have the manuel and we dont have any in the shop either. This os x is only one disk btw. I've took the hdd out and threw it into a g4 desktop and formatted from there, hoping the the laptop would have no choice but to boot from dvd. Well ... that didn't work, LOL. So now i have a nice paper weight and I haven't yet told the customer. I'mma call up apple support later.
    L8z
    ~LILAZNDEVIL~

Update:
    Ok now i know why i couldn't get mac to install on the macbook pro, the os i was trying was 10.4.6 . From what i now understand, this macbook pro is now considered a pc laptop, well atleast the core 2 duo it has inside of it. I even installed xp pro on it LOL. I didn't get the os x installed on it yet, we're still waiting on apple to send the correct disks or for the customer to buy leopard. pce out.
    L8z
    ~LILAZNDEVIL~