Thread: IE7 Icon Problems (Favorites)

IE7 Icon Problems (Favorites)

IE7 has now assigned incorrect icons to a few of my stored websites. I tried to do a system restore to a time just previous to when I noticed the problem, but to no avail. I tried deleting the websites from my favorites and restarting IE7 and retyping their URL in the address box hoping to pick up the correct icon. It did not work. It was consistant however and gave me the same incorrect icon. Is this a known problem or something unique to me? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

System Restore can be your friend but should not be the first thing to try if you have minor problems. You can un-install IE7 through Add/Remove Programs. Have you tried that?

I have not tried to uninstall IE7. It seems a bit drastic to have to reinstall IE7 because of an icon problem. I would like to use that as a last result. It's hard to believe there isn't a simpler solution.

TweakUI has an icon repair function that might be worth trying.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Quote Originally Posted by mpr67
    I have not tried to uninstall IE7. It seems a bit drastic to have to reinstall IE7 because of an icon problem. I would like to use that as a last result. It's hard to believe there isn't a simpler solution.
    That's pretty funny; "drastic" to un-install IE7 but a System Restore is okay? It is very easy to remove IE7. Look in Add/Remove Programs.

Ol'Tunzafun - TweakUI didn't work. I have used it before and I think it is just meant for desktop icons.

Direct1 - I am glad I made your day and gave you a good laugh, but there is no need to insult me because of my "apparent" ignorance. Internet Explorer is no ordinary program. It is rooted in the operating system and can create problems both there and in Outlook Express. I have read of people having to reinstall the OS because of an ill-behaving IE. So maybe reinstalling IE7 is the easiest and best way to cure my problem, but it makes me a bit uneasy.

Ultimate Member
    mpr67 ... you need not go nuts about this
    just download this utility and all will be well

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...s/favorg.shtml

More info:

Icon assignments.

1. When you're accessing the Web, many items are downloaded to the Temporary Internet Files (TIF), aka "cache", for possible subsequent use - those Gif files are what you're interested in preserving. Files downloaded to the TIF are static and do not stay for any great length of time - this is determined by the IE program coding. Items in the TIF are purged when you empty the cache through the browser options or it may be automatically emptied when exiting IE - determined by an optional setting.

Warning: When you first save a favorite link, its icon will be retained for use only as long as it remains in the TIF. Once the URL is purged, the favorite icon reverts to the default IE icon.

Note: Are you getting the picture yet?

2. At the time you save a link and it's got a nice icon you want to preserve, follow these steps:

a. Find the icon file in question and place it somewhere else in a personal archive.

b. After selecting a Favorites link from Explorer, or My Computer, right-click it, choose Properties, and from the context menu, click the Web document tab.

c. Click the button labeled, "Change icon....", and then select your personal "archived copy" of the icon.

4. PC Magazine first published "FavOrg", Version 19n19, November 17, 2000 which you may find elsewhere on the Web.

PLATFORMS: 32-bit Windows with Internet Explorer 4 or higher

DESCRIPTION: FavOrg scans the Web sites in your Favorites list for favicons--custom icons provided by the Web site. The icons are displayed on the Favorites bar, the Favorites menu, and the Address bar. Custom icons make the Favorites list easier to scan, letting you locate a given shortcut faster. Microsoft added the custom icon feature to IE5; FavOrg brings this functionality to IE4 as well. Favicons are usually lost when you delete your Temporary Internet Files, but FavOrg preserves them. The program also lets you associate any icon you choose with a given shortcut, even if no favicon is provided. Since FavOrg must check the validity of an Internet shortcut before attempting to download the favicon, it automatically flags dead links as it goes through your Favorites list. If you like, it can update redirected links or reset dead links to the site's root.
    Last edited by bruceb; 02-25-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpr67
    Direct1 - I am glad I made your day and gave you a good laugh, but there is no need to insult me because of my "apparent" ignorance. Internet Explorer is no ordinary program. It is rooted in the operating system and can create problems both there and in Outlook Express. I have read of people having to reinstall the OS because of an ill-behaving IE. So maybe reinstalling IE7 is the easiest and best way to cure my problem, but it makes me a bit uneasy.
    My intent was not to insult you. I was just wondering why someone would think doing a restore was less drastic than removing an installed program? IE7 can easily be removed and re-installed.

Problem solved - hopefully for good! I did download FavOrg and after playing around with it for a while I was able to get my icons back. I haven't had time to check all my icons in Favorites, but at least I have a tool to work with. It's still puzzling to me why this ocurred, but I guess I am back in business. Thanks everybody for all you help. I really appreciate it!