Thread: Dell Dimension and windows XP, windows is fouled

Dell Dimension and windows XP, windows is fouled

OK, I've inherited a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows is fouled due to several trojans on it. I think I got them all but the system has problems. I can't access the users in the control panel, even in safe mode so I can't change names, passwords, etc. Nothing happens when I click the icon. Also, I can't install SP2. It says that this is not a Microsoft Kernal and won't install. I did get a load of SP1 updates, but it still won't do SP2. I really think windows has had it. Now the fun part. I want to save the existing software on the machine (if possible) and some of the data ( I could burn it to CD I suppose ). Problem is, I don't have the Windows disc that came with the machine. Can I do a repair from a retail disc? If not I guess I'll call Dell and see about getting another disc from them. I do have the original Windows Key, it's on the side of the case, just no disc. Gonna go looking for it asap however, hope I can find it ( not at my house, but where I got the machine from, probably an exercise in futility, but,,,)

Any ideas here?

Thanks

dell winxp discs are bios coded. you need to use the dell cd with the dell code or else it won't activate right.

Guess I better find it or call Dell and get a new one then, dangit.

You can use any OEM XP CD (preferably with SP2) with the Product Code on the case ( I do it all the time). You'll just have to call MS to activate it.

I've gotten declined before when I did that. Same thing happened when I tried that on an emachine. It's worth a shot, though.

If you use the real Dell disc, it doesn't even ask to activate.

True, the real Dell disc is better but if you just say when asked that this is the CD that came with the PC and it is only installed on this PC, it has always worked for me. I have done it many times...

Got an update for yas. Firstly, removed another 100 or so virii, trojans and worms. Cleaned up the system dramatically. Now, tried to install SP2 and again got the Kernal Error. Upon reading the error message carefully it said to check the Knowledge base and gave an article number. So I read it, basically the previous owner had installed a program to alter the boot screens, etc. Removed said program and edited the boot.ini and restarted. SP2 is installing as we speak! First time an error message actually told me what was wrong and how to fix it! Now, I still don't have the Windows discs, but a search will be mounted for them soon. If not, I'm calling Dell, got the number right here.