Thread: First Vista Issue!

Ultimate Member

First Vista Issue!

I person I know bought an HP M7750N computer with 2 GB RAM, 400GB harddrive, etc. and most importantly, Windows Vista. They are in an area that does not have Cable, DSL, or any kind of wireless. They are forced to use Hughesnet satellite internet or dial-up. They chose Hughesnet (formerly Direcway). The modem used is a HN7000S.

Unfortunately, the Internet does not work and this person has been told by tech support, (not sure it is Hughesnet tech support or someone else) that Hughesnet does not work with Vista. This may be true but I have my doubts since all the major computer stores sell now is Vista and Hughesnet would by at quite a disatvantage if it did not work. Any comments would be appreciated.

They are probably right. Just because Vista is sold with most systems today doesn't mean that all hardware like that modem, or companies such as the mentioned, will support it. It is new, and they still must design drivers specifically for Vista. XP is still the supreme champion, so that doesn't put them at any disadvantage, yet.

Also, after saying they chose hughesnet, you should have said "obviously".
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Tell the user to set up to use dial up or they should return the new fast computer and buy a used 300MHz desktop for $50 and save all that money.

Or tell them to go buy a copy of Windows XP and it should work fine with the modem.

Hold up, what does this person use it for, or intend to use it for.

I wouldn't suggest dial-up to anyone due to it's current many negatives, and that assuming they live in the sticks (no cable usually=not in town) the phone lines may not be "optimal".

If this person doesn't mind spending some money, tell them to get Windows 2000 or Windows XP as suggested by Sterling. Note, x64 edition is not a good idea.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Ultimate Member
    The computer goes back tomorrow. I hate returning it since it works perfectly fine - except for Hughesnet. Hopefully Bestbuy will take it back. It is not their fault and the person really like the computer. That being said, it is probably an overkill for satellite.

It is odd that the satellite modem only communicates with the router and the router the computer. There must be something else going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhcs
    The computer goes back tomorrow. I hate returning it since it works perfectly fine - except for Hughesnet. Hopefully Bestbuy will take it back. It is not their fault and the person really like the computer. That being said, it is probably an overkill for satellite.

It is odd that the satellite modem only communicates with the router and the router the computer. There must be something else going on.
    Have they tried right clicking the network icon in the task bar and having Vista diagnose and repair the connection? It should state why it doesn't work with the router and offer a solution; like unplugging power to the router for a few seconds, restoring power; and then clicking where Vista tells you to to repair the connection.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

Ultimate Member
    I would have to say that the Network Card in the computer is incorrectly setup.
    Do you have it configured to "get an ip automatically" like it should be ? ?
    It should not matter where the Internet service is coming from. Hugesnet should
    have provided a Modem / Router combo .. the only thing you or the installer need
    do is access the Modem / Router interface, input your Login and Password
    and set any options as listed in the Install Guide ... set the Router portion to
    Automatically assign an ip ... that should do it ... Vista has working NIC cards
    functionality ... MS couldn't release it if that basic function was not working.
    As an aside, check device manager on the computer and look at the Network Card'
    It is possible, the wrong Driver was installed for it .. or it needs a Driver Update
    Look for the Yellow ? mark in Device Manager

Ultimate Member
    Please know that I have checked all settings/Device Manager etc. The computer runs perfectly with a cable modem at a different site.

We called Hughesnet and they specifically stated that their downloaded software needed to complete the connection does not run under Vista. This simply doesn't make sense.

Ultimate Member
    Another call placed to Hughesnet to a different tech now reveals that the HN7000S modem is Vista compatible and the connection should work. This after I did a total system restore preparing for return. What a business!!!

From what i've read, the HN7000S is quite a different modem.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=70338

read that.

Ultimate Member
    And yet another call to Hughesnet and that tech said it is not compatible with VISTA. Such is the state of customer service these days. I would be embarrased if I gave such service.

The Satellite Guys have not responded yet to my inquiry. Nothing in their forums address this issue.

OK, well I've got Windows Vista and I use DirecWay, which is owned by Hughesnet, and my connection works just as dreadfully slow as ever... but yes, it works with Vista. I don't know if the one you're using is so much different than DirecWay's system, but it should still be working.
    Athlon 64 X2-3800 @2400MHz
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    GeForce 6800 GT @ 410/1100
    2048MB OCZ DDR550 2-3-3-8
    120gb Seagate / 160GB Seagate HDDs
    480W Enermax Whisper II
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Run the tests then adjust the settings as recommended by the website.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest