Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dual Boot XP onto Vista? - Not Upgrade, not Vista onto XP!

I dual boot XP and Vista-- each installed on its own SATA HD, and I use the boot order in BIOS to select which OS to load.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

I just put Vista on one HD and XP on another then pick which one to boot from using BIOS.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

If you set your XP machine to boot default you could easily then edit boot.ini to point to both and give you a hassle-free choice.

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Vista" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    That's with vista on my first harddrive, windowsXP on my second.

You can use msconfig's tool "check all boot paths" from it's boot.ini tab to check you're pointing at the right place too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    You should have used PM 8.05 before you got stuck in the boot loop. PM 8.0 caused the problems.
    In actual fact, I was using 8.05. Go figure!