Thread: windows on an apple?

windows on an apple?

is it possible to install windows home, pro and vista on any apple computer, desktops and laptops?

If you rip out all the insides, and put PC parts in the case.

That's all you can do.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

there is bootcamp for the newer Intel based systems. it depends on what you are trying to do.

i was told its possible to install both vista and tiger on a macbook. one can then choose which to boot into.. doesnt this slow down the pc somehow having two OS installed?

It has to be one of the new Intel Core2Duo type Mac notebooks.

It would be like a dual boot system. the OSes are independent of each other. I don't see any mention of Vista on the boot camp website.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

It doesn't require a Core 2 Duo, any Intel Mac can run Bootcamp. It's a free download from the Apple website in beta form. Rumor has it when Leopard is released Apple will begin charging for botcamp.

You run it under OSX and it partitions your hard drive, moves all the OSX stuff to one partition and prepares the second partition to accept the second OS. It also contains drivers for the virtual hardware and some of the physical hardware for XP. It will run Vista and Microsoft has already announced that anyone who dual boots will have to use the top dog version or they'll be in violation of their EULA.

I have a core duo Mac Mini running in dual boot and XP runs very well on it. I may try the Vista path once the rumored service pack MS is working on is released towards the end of the year. As an aside, if you do choose to run Windows on a Mac be sure to use the same anti-virus and anti-spyware you would use on a conventional pc.

my coworker has one of them new fangled macs with the dule boot. Only he says you don't boot you hit a button and it turns from mac to windows or

I don't know about hitting a button - I've never found a shortcut. I get a boot menu when I reboot my mini and have a choice of booting to OSX or XP. Select with the cursor and press enter and it boots to the OS you chose.

I meant core duo or core 2 duo. basically an Intel Mac.

My nephew has a new PowerMac desktop. He switches back and forth between Windows and Mac as if it were an application.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

He may be running SoftPC which is a windows emulator for the Mac or Parallels, which creates a windows virtual machine. Both would launch as an app. With Bootcamp you choose your OS at boot (or reboot) time.