Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WINDOWS VISTA DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT

WINDOWS VISTA DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT

Shed some light on this if anyone could, it dosent seem good.

WINDOWS VISTA DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT
    (LISTEN AND READ BEFORE GETTING VISTA)

Due to the level of interest and the amount of new and updated information, I decided to upgrade the torrent uploaded last weekend.

The main article by Peter Gutmann from the Department of Computer Science of the University of Auckland, New Zealand (contained in the .mht file) raises a number of very important questions about the extent to which Microsoft has gone to satisfy copyright owners during the development of Windows Vista. The article raises vital issues concerning your rights when you purchase a computer -- including the associated hardware, especially the video card -- and install software. Take special note of issues such as video card drivers that are overly complex and WILL EXPIRE (if the rights to which are not renewed by the manufacturer), making images fuzzy or unviewable. The new DRM system will also spill over to users of earlier versions of Windows.

Gutmann points out, "Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called 'premium content', typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry."

The article certainly explains why it took Microsoft so long to develop Vista and why, despite the prolonged development period, many of the vital drivers simply do not work correctly and slow down the operating system.

Gutmann concludes, "The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history."

The other items in the torrent are four Security Now podcasts located at the website of Gibson Research Corporation with pdf transcripts. Program 74 is an interview/discussion with Gutmann.The podcasts and transcripts can also be found at www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm

Also included is Microsoft's response to Gutmann's paper, at the Windows Vista Team Blog. Of the nearly 200 comments, the vast majority were very critical of Microsoft's new DRM measures included in Vista. In a comment on February 1, Nick White, a product manager and person responsible for the Vista Team Blog promised, "We continue to listen equally intently in this case" as they did in other cases such as Microsoft's earlier policy changes concerning "disabling start-up sound, offering multi-copy product offers (Family Pack) and easing licensing restrictions for enthusiasts." He also said that any news on the issue would be included in the blog.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...d-answers.aspx

Gutmann's rebuttal is included in the torrent, along with his original article:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00....html#response

The opinion of Canadian lawyer Michael Geist, who holds the Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-commerce Law at the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, and also a columnist at the Toronto Star is also included in the torrent and can be found here:

http://www.thestar.com/article/175801

Finally, included is the blog of a reseacher who claims to have successfully broken the Vista DRM:

http://www.alex-ionescu.com/?p=24

(We found the Ionescu blog by simply following this hyperlink included in one of the replies on the Vista Team Blog webpage http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/01/29/1811201.shtml )

The issues raised by Gutmann's article might best be understood in the framework of the convergence and conflicts of business interests among the software and hardware industries, and the suppliers of content (recording, motion picture, "print" and broadcast media industries) as well as the political power they wield individually and collectively. The increasing level of economic concentration in many of these industries (and newly combined industries) also comes into play. To simply bash Microsoft would be to miss the point.

This technology was developed with the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD in mind. Thus, Microsoft was being told what it had to do. But that is not the whole story: Microsoft is also a producer of content that it may want to protect in this manner.

The problem is what all this new activity does to system stability and whether or not the technology does efficiently what Microsoft says. "Efficiency" is a relative term and every user will have, at least, a slightly different definition of the term. The excessive use of the CPU also means that slower CPUs will be made obsolete, just as Vista Aero's system requirements already makes many lower end and older video cards obsolete to users who want to activate it.

If this technology is not going to have wider uses, Microsoft should consider issuing a Vista version or versions that would reject Blu-Ray and HD-DVD disks outright and relieve the CPU of the constant verification tasks. This would allow users who do not want either HD system to continue to use their current CPUs and video cards.

In what may be a clear case of serious negligence (or simply disregard) on the part of Microsoft, for many months, Microsoft has offered on its website a program called "Vista Upgrade Advisor." This seemingly excellent program provides an advance assessment for prospective purchasers of Vista regarding the readiness of their PCs for Windows Vista. It provides a list of actions that the consumer should take to prepare his or her PC for Vista. It mentions nothing, however, related to the extra burden on the CPU of the new operating system. The assessment of the installed video card did not mention the new special requirements imposed by the Vista DRM, evaluating only the capability to use Vista Aero.

A bigger problem is what this (and other invasive technologies) does to everyone's rights concerning their computers, their personal property.

Finally, if your rights as a consumer and property owner of your computer are being violated, it becomes a legal and political problem that needs to be resolved by the courts and the legislatures.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Sounds like people are again making a mountain out of a mole hill.

DRM is going to happen, it has to happen because of all the thieves out there.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

I agree, I didnt have time to read over the whole lot when I posted this information. But they are making a big deal out of nothing.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    I agree, I didnt have time to read over the whole lot when I posted this information. But they are making a big deal out of nothing.

People will always complain about something I guess.
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Crazy Crusher is right! DRM is a violation of consumer rights.

"Palladium" (google it) should never have been allowed to happen, but the passive masses said back then that it would only affect "Thieves", so it was accepted.

I personally can't wait to see the day when people like the above two - have issues with a downloaded movie they paid for but can't access because DRM has thrown its rattle from the cradle.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    Crazy Crusher is right! DRM is a violation of consumer rights.

I disagree there.

You choose to buy a computer and in the future you will choose to do so with DRM in place or you won't have one.

They have to crack down on Piracy across the board, no choice.

There have been laws in place all along, now they are just allowing them to be enforced.

The software companies have just as much right to protect their software from theft as you and I have the right to use it when we buy it.

Ultimate Member
    As to paid for Movies that you download DRM should not interfere.
    After all you Paid For It as required. As to a crack down on piracy,
    all I can say about that, is if Software companies, sell their wares
    for a Reasonable Price and Include Lifetime Updates to all Future
    releases, most people are willing to pay it. I for one, say, don't like
    Adobe charging $400 + for Acrobat Pro, then finding it will not work
    with Office 2007 .. now I would need a new version .. granted the
    upgrade is a bit less expensive (around $200) but still pricey when
    you consider how much the original costs. Keep the cost reasonable
    and people will Buy It if they need it, rather than find ways around it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb
    After all you Paid For It as required. As to a crack down on piracy,
    all I can say about that, is if Software companies, sell their wares
    for a Reasonable Price and Include Lifetime Updates to all Future
    releases, most people are willing to pay it. I for one, say, don't like
    Adobe charging $400 + for Acrobat Pro, then finding it will not work
    with Office 2007 .. now I would need a new version .. granted the
    upgrade is a bit less expensive (around $200) but still pricey when
    you consider how much the original costs. Keep the cost reasonable
    and people will Buy It if they need it, rather than find ways around it.
    That argument has never held water and never will, Piracy is stealing just like bank robbery, there isn't really a difference, theft is theft period.

So what you are saying is that if something is too expensive in your opinion it's fine to steal it.

Jeez that Land Rover is just to expensive.......

THat would result in a person saying:

"Your Honor the Land Rover price was too high."

The Judge Would say:

"You are going to jail...."

Ultimate Member
    No I did not say that. I only said that is a reason for some
    to pirate programs. I do not condone it and I am simply
    stating a simple way for software makers to get more
    people to pay for their product in the first place.

People will not steal / pirate it, if they can buy it for a
    reasonable cost and know it is 100% legit.

After all you Paid For It as required. ....
    that's exactly my point! DRM will validate the movie before you can play it back! it will check for a certificate of authenticity, which if missing or corrupt, will not allow the file to play.

you only have to play an uncertified file (.WMV,.WMA, etc) in WMP to see the message yourself.

i.e: If your hard drive expires unexpectedly and takes your certificates with it - you will have effectively lost the ability to play all of your legaly downloaded media! and before you say "back up your certificates...", ask yourself how much of the public is aware of the pitfalls.

I know of individuals that have resorted to P2P to get back the music that they have paid for but lost the certificates for in the above manner! If messeurs Gates, SONY & their cronies had their way - even that would not be possible.

It happened to me when I d\l'ed a tune to my Mobile phone once! I never got to play it because the certificate was either invalid or corrupt! I've never attempted to do that again and never will. I did manage to get the tune on my phone eventually - but not in a manner that you guys (or Gates) would consider legal.

once bitten, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson
    I disagree there.

You choose to buy a computer and in the future you will choose to do so with DRM in place or you won't have one.

They have to crack down on Piracy across the board, no choice.

There have been laws in place all along, now they are just allowing them to be enforced.

The software companies have just as much right to protect their software from theft as you and I have the right to use it when we buy it.
    I already have a Notebook that is DRM enabled (Turion 64x2) & I can tell you there are ways and means to work around DRM with XP.

Vista just means more hostility toward the consumer! the Pirate\Theif will always find ways around these things.

People will not steal / pirate it, if they can buy it for a
    reasonable cost and know it is 100% legit.

Reasonable price varies a lot depending on who you talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    Vista just means more hostility toward the consumer! the Pirate\Theif will always find ways around these things.
    Possibly, but it is a good step, and it will continue to get harder as time goes on.

Ultimate Member
    Reasonable, means under $300 for a program, such as Office
    and that should include lifetime updates to newer versions without
    the need to repurchase the program.

Ultimate Member
    The issue with DRM is that the "Thieves" whom it supposedly targets, will always find a crack for said DRM methods, or simply find an alternate source for the same content without any DRM measures.

I'm afraid that all forms of copy protection are generally about as useful as glass hammers, the majority of the people who want to get their hands on digital content for free via illegal means, have the means and knowledge to do so no matter what walls you try and put in front of them, speaking from personal experience, all that new high-falutin copy protection systems and DRM does is add an extra five minutes to the task of any "theif" who know his earwhole from his bumhole (in temrs of copy protection systems the likes of Starforce, TAGES, Securom 7 etc are little more than mild inconvieniences to anyone who knows what theyre doing)

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]