Thread: ADD2 cards and non intel chipsets

Ultimate Member

ADD2 cards and non intel chipsets

I have a system here that does not have DVI on the motherboard. It's a Geforce 6150 based motherboard, and there are no extra PCIe cards around at the moment, but there is an extra ADD2 card lying around.

I have strong doubts the ADD2 card will work, but I just want to ask to make sure.

ain't gonna work. add2 cards are only for intel chipsets with onboard video (GMCH).

http://www.intel.com/support/graphic.../cs-013296.htm
    An ADD2 card is an adapter card that can be inserted into the PCI Express* port of Intel® G965 Express Chipset, Intel® Q965 Express Chipset, Intel® Q963 Express Chipset, Intel® 946GZ Express Chipset, Intel® 915G Express Chipset or Intel® 945G Express Chipset based systems. ADD2 cards utilize the PCI Express x16 port to receive SDVO signals from the GMCH.

Ultimate Member
    I figured it would be dependent on the signals from those MCHs. Just wondering if anyone tried. :P But thanks.

Ultimate Member
    Other graphics chipset vendors have similar mechanisms. For example, SiS have had it ever since the 630S back in the P-III days. It is rarely used though ... but not totally ignored: Shuttle makes cards for the AGP and PCIE slots of their SiS chipset barebones that are just secondary display companion cards for the integrated VGA. Certain SiS chipsets even allowed making RAM cards for their integrated VGA solutions ...

But yes: The hardware wiring and software concept are exclusive to chipset vendors, and some even to chipset generations within one vendor.
    Last edited by Peter M; 02-05-2007 at 08:33 AM.