Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HP Vivera inks

HP Vivera inks

I bought a new HP printer which takes Vivera inks. These ink cartridges have been designed so that they cannot be refilled. Something to do with the cartridge head telling the printer it has been tampered with. I do a lot of printing and am concerned over the cost now. Is anyone aware of:

a) an inkjet refill kit which has overcome this new technology
    or
    b) remanufactured cartridges which are good or warnings of manufacturers I should watch out for

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like you should have bought a different printer since you do alot of color printing.

Look at a low cost color laser and sell the inkjet printer.

There is no easy way around the HP cartridges without voiding the warranty.

I don't really do enough printing to justify the cost of a color laser. I've been happy w HP for so many years that I would prefer to stay w HP if I can find a way around this newest challenge.

One refill kit supplier told me that they were working on a refill kit or replacement cartridge that would overcome this problem which made me think that maybe someone out there has already overcome this challenge.

Do what I did - buy a laser printer for $150 and use it for the majority of your printing. After a while, you will find yourself ignoring the inkjet more and more. Laser is faster, cheaper and makes prints that don't run when wet.
    MS MCP, MCSE

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...102&redirect=1

$399 for a color laser and no more inkjet cartridges or dried out printheads.

The reason you can't refill is because there HP's carts have the printhead on the carts for many models. higher end ones have separate PH assemblies. HP doesn't want you to keep refilling carts and overusing the PH. your picture quality will diminish or the PH will get clogged.

Vivera is their pro series of ink, so you might see if there is a lower quality set instead.

http://www.printerfillingstation.com...lls/HP/94H.htm

If you have the HP02 cartridge , then these guys are selling a replacement HP02 cartridge and a cartridge resetter so you can refill the cartridge . As for the quality of ink and prints , its hard to say . Risky imo , but worth investigating.

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking into returning this printer and purchasing a color laserjet all-in-one (which I wouldn't have even considered if not for the above answers, so thank you) but I would still be interested in any low-cost options for the ink cartridges in my existing printer as I'm not sure I'll be able to return this printer.

Any low cost option voids the printer warranty and gives you less than perfect print results.

Are the risks worth a few dollars saved? I never use refilled ink cartridges.

Go to www.inksupply.com and do a search for vivera ink. They have refillable cartridges and ink. I've been using their ink for several years in my HP 2110 and never a problem. HP cannot void your warranty for using refilled cartridges unless they can prove that the ink damaged the printer for the same reason that they can't forbid the use of cartrdges from Staples and Office Max.
    Good is the enemy of GREAT
    Go Bucks
    2Chr. 7:14

And how long have you been HP warranty certified? I was, but I'm not at the customer contract anymore, so my certifications expired.

HP inks have a special lubricant mixed in them that keeps the pins firing smoothly and friction free. Using a non-HP ink supplier will show up as corrosion on the pins and blockage inside the print heads.

Vivera ink cartridges can be refilled. But, its really hard to get them to reset so the printer can read them as full again.
    I was only able to get a color cartridge and black cartridge to refill once, and then the black cartridge just clogged up and quit working. Not only that, afterwards the printer quit reading the black cartridge correctly. This even being after I bought actual HP replacement cartridges. The printer would no longer see the black cartridge as being installed.
    Not worth it.

Just 2 weeks ago I went and bought a Samsung laser (black & white) printer for $59. (instant savings though). Since most of the printing is done by my wife and usually web pages.
    Got tired of spending $65 on a set of cartridges for my all-in-one, due to my wife printing web pages in color.

Ultimate Member
    Those suggesting color lasers, I ask, really? The color on color lasers always seems darker than that of inkjets.

if they print out dark, then you need to recalibrate.

here's a recent comparison:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/...er_printers_2/

You can also adjust the color saturation, brightness, and color depth manually along with the standard print quality selection of best, normal, everyday, and fast draft.