Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vista upgrade

Vista upgrade

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...gradeinfo.mspx

I have XP professional just now.

I want to upgrade to vista home premium.

Can I do that? According to that link it requires a clean install, so will I have to buy a full version? I don't think so but I just want to confirm with you lovely people

ALSO!

I have RC2 vista ultimate installed just now. Will I have to un-install this, then re-install XP then upgrade?Or can I just format and install home premium.

Oh yeah and vista ftw!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You will not be required to buy the full version unless you want to install Vista on a hard drive that has no OS on it. If you start the Vista CD from inside of the XP system, then you can select a clean install from the menu and it will work with the upgrade version.

You will not have to un-install anything, I would just tell Vista to format the partition during the install process since you will need to reinstall all of the apps anyway.

Thanks sterling.

I've been looking for a clear definitive answer all over the web.

Hopefully this can be of help to others as well, that are confused by the windows website

Nothing has changed with Vista about the install options.

An Upgrade disk will upgrade from one OS to the new one, or it will allow a clean install (because the disk already had an OS installed and you started the install program from inside the current OS). Booting an upgrade CD will result in only getting the clean install option.

A Full Version disk will do either an upgrade or a clean install even if the new drive is blank. Booting the full version CD will result in both the upgrade and clean install options being available. Inserting the full version CD while in Windows will also result in both install options available.

Make sure you know what you will expect to do way in the future or you may be required to buy two versions of the OS if you cheaped out at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Nothing has changed with Vista about the install options.

An Upgrade disk will upgrade from one OS to the new one, or it will allow a clean install (because the disk already had an OS installed and you started the install program from inside the current OS). Booting an upgrade CD will result in only getting the clean install option.

A Full Version disk will do either an upgrade or a clean install even if the new drive is blank. Booting the full version CD will result in both the upgrade and clean install options being available. Inserting the full version CD while in Windows will also result in both install options available.

Make sure you know what you will expect to do way in the future or you may be required to buy two versions of the OS if you cheaped out at the start.
    So just to make it clear as long as I have my windows XP professional disc(OEM)I wil be able to install vista from a vista home premium upgrade disc.

With Xp professional you can't upgrade from one OS to the other if you are upgrading to Home premium. But this thread was just to confirm that I can upgrade, but just with a clean install instead

Yes, that is my understanding of the process.

that's not quite the length of it I'm afraid!

Vista upgrade will not allow a clean install on a formatted HD (as was the case before where you just supplied a disk momentarily for checking)! you must have a previous "working" Windows version on the hard drive before it will allow an upgrade or buy a "full" version.

KB Article

Profiteering at its finest.

The Vista upgrade issue just popped up yesterday, so my original post isn't correct now. Strawbs is correct.

and

I haven't even seen any FULL versions for sale online or advertised this past Sunday!

Oh gawd! I really hope they aren't serious when they want to charge $200 for a freakin upgarde to Vista!
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    that's not quite the length of it I'm afraid!

Vista upgrade will not allow a clean install on a formatted HD (as was the case before where you just supplied a disk momentarily for checking)! you must have a previous "working" Windows version on the hard drive before it will allow an upgrade or buy a "full" version.

KB Article

Profiteering at its finest.

I worked that one out today!

Was a long process to install vista with just an upgrade since I was running RC2. SO I formated and installed XP professional. Then did a clean install upgrade to home premium.

Found one pretty major bug I will post in the tech section tomorrow. I hope it isn't that danm DRM carp. I was just viewing some wedding pictures from a CD on media centre and the screens go all flickering and crazy!

Any ideas guys?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes to performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD, a gleam of light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new workaround proposed by Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents) has been confirmed
    During deep sleep IT came to me and the future of processing is clear.
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Ultimate Member
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...D=95011&News=1

Unconfirmed workaround for the "Upgrade Irritatnt"

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

What is RC2? How can I determine if the Vista version is RC2?

Dell Inspiron 15, 7559 || Intel i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz || Windows 10 Home || 16GHz DDR || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M || WD 1TB 7200, N.2 SSD 500GB