Thread: Problem with USB 2.0 and VIA motherboard

Problem with USB 2.0 and VIA motherboard

Hi guys,

I have a USB 2.0 card, and was using it without problems recently, until I changed to a Asus CUV4X-D (VIA motherboard).

So I setup the rig and installed a fresh copy of Windows on the system, and then the problems started.

After installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers and the VIA USB Filter patch v1.10, when I try to copy a video file (300+MB ) from my portable HDD to my computer, the progress bar in Windows Explorer goes up to around 25% through, with 25 seconds remaining.

And then the time goes up to 6 mins. Then 8 mins, then 20 mins. Then 64 mins. Then to 120+ mins.

I supposed something's incorrectly configured here, but what is it?

I was formerly using it on a i440BX chipset motherboard, so I know it's something wrong with the settings on the VIA board.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Try moving the card to a different slot. Other than that you may want to try uninstalling the patch or install the drivers in a different order.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I guess I have bashed VIA's name by mistake.

I did more diagnostics tests, and it seems that it is the portable HDD that is at fault here, because the same thing happened when I plugged it into another system using an Intel board.

Ultimate Member
    I would have said, check the external device for whether it's going offline.

Okay, the drive at fault is a IBM Travelstar. I did a DFT on it and everything turned out fine.

So I cleared out the contents in the drive, did a full format via a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter, and then I slapped the drive back into the casing (a Sarotech casing).

Copied the contents back to the drive, and was back to using it happily.

Just this morning, the drive seems to be acting up again after I plugged it into the computer with the VIA motherboard.

I'm really not sure what the problem is at hand here: could it be that the board doesn't like my USB card?

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195005

Seems your having too many issues with this "new" (?) mobo . I think you picked up someone elses troubles ...

That is what I sort of knew, but didn't really want to admit.

Sorry about the two threads, I didn't want to consider them as a single issue together, lest I be seen as jumping to conclusions.

I'll be getting hold of a CMD PCI IDE Controller card in a couple of days' time. Hopefully that will iron out the rest of the problems.

Meanwhile, is there any Intel dual P3 motherboard (133MHz FSB) that I can consider migrating to?

Ok guys, I have gotten hold of the IDE controller card, and installed it into the system without a hitch.

My question now is: Does the data going between the card and my drives, bypass the VIA chipsets (north, or south?)?

Or does the card directly access the data via the PCI bus?

Sorry if this question sounds noob.

All PCI cards tansfer data via the PCI bus.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    All PCI cards tansfer data via the PCI bus.
    ... which originates on the VIA southbridge. Data from/to the PCI bus pass through the south bridge, over the VIA V-Link up to the north, and from there into the CPU, RAM, or even directly onto the graphics card (e.g. when viewing live video from a PCI TV card).

The TV-to-VGA path is the /only/ card-to-card transfer that actually happens. Everything else goes from the sourcing card into RAM, and after some CPU operations on the data, from the RAM back to the target card.

So, you can't take the chipset out of the equation.