Thread: can't connect w/ OPt online - router

can't connect w/ OPt online - router

I rebuilt my sons computer @ my house & was connected to MY opt online fine. I plugged it in & was on - loaded all my SP's & updates. Unplugged the machine & took it over HIS MOTHERS house. Plugged in the ethernet cable (modem & router downstairs) & no connectivity!! Gosh I hate this part! I went to internet options in Internet explorer, clicked on wizard/set up manually/to lan that always on. Clicked on LAN settings/automatically detect settings. Rebooted the computer, nothing. Turned off computer, rebooted modem & router & turned back on computer. Still dead. what am I missing?
    mdm

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    What is OPT Online?

Have you called his ISP provider for help yet? His mother is paying for tech support.

what is opt online? -daa. - optimum online. Used to be you could post something @ sys opts & get help. I fixed it myself, put in another ethernet card & it found the new address. Kinda a hack way to do but I cant acess the modem/router to reboot it.
    mdm

Quote Originally Posted by crapyking
    what is opt online? -daa. - optimum online. Used to be you could post something @ sys opts & get help. I fixed it myself, put in another ethernet card & it found the new address. Kinda a hack way to do but I cant acess the modem/router to reboot it.
    Hello crapyking,

1. Assume you mean the cable ISP Optimum Online that covers about a fifty mile radius around NYC (mighty small area for those of us who've never lived there).

2. Doubt mere exchanging the card fixed the issue - If you had called the servicing ISP, they probably could have helped with less tension and without exchanging hardware that's known to be working.

3. In your first post, you said you did reboot the MoDem/Router at her house - last post said you could not access to do so. Which is it?

I don't mean to "stir the pot" - It's just that I think you got good advice the morning after your evening post.

John B.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I said to call the ISP because that was the best thing to do.

Instead, you decide to throw hardware at the problem.

Since I live in Pennsylvania and I use Comcast Cable, how the heck should I know what OPT is since it seems to be a local redneck ISP in a rural area of NY? You are probably paying way too much for crappy service crapyking.

I assumed (incorrectly) that everybody knew optimum online was the ISP. I initially couldn't get it working & had to leave the computer, I had my son reboot the modem later the 1st night when he was able to acess it. It's a loooong story - the bro in law lives in the basement, half the reason I'm not married anymore......

But after I installed the new card it connected right away. I've done it b4. Thanks for any input just the same, sincerely.
    mdm