Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new system dead, please help

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    FYI:

this is one rare mobo, it aint your typical mobo.

the Asus P5B series DISSIPACES CPU/CHIPSET heat through the entire mobo.

so the MOBO needs to be AIR fanned to be cooled down.

it clearly says so in the manual, and that is one of their "marketing" themes
    That could have been the problem then. I've always heard it was a good idea to read the manual. I might try it sometime

Ultimate Member
    So basically they are saying Not to run that Mobo
    without Air Flow across it ... most unusual indeed

This is my first time posting, and im sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but i ran across a similar problem as the OP. I have the same mobo as the OP. The main difference is my problem slowly degenerated over a period of a month roughly. I'm fairly new to computer building, but an experienced friend helped me out. I noticed that after a week or so, that the system had problems powering up. I would have to unplug the power supply and let it rest for a few mins, then plug it in again. The problem like the OP was the same: the fans, lights everything would power up for like half a second then power down. The Green light on the mobo would light up when the psu was plugged in. After a few weeks the problem became more frequent and would take longer, until eventually the system would not start up all the way.

Thinking it was a PSU problem, i purchased another one, and it worked, but only for a few days. Then like the old psu it had the same problem of not starting up all the way. Then i tried the old psu again just to see, and strangely enough it worked again. Then today after another 2 days it stopped working along with the new one. I tried switching the power/reset lines to the mobo but that had no effect, and the psu's both work, so do you think im looking at a mobo problem as well? I have not overclocked anything so i dont think the cpu would have burned out. Also i noticed that the problem started getting worse when i would leave my comp overnight for a day, then when i turned it off and restarted it wouldnt power up again.

Any advice would be great, as im still kinda newbish to this

it sounds like over heating to me

that is a typical behaviour of a overheated system

another thing it could be a BIOS setting that detects the FAN, and the retail FAN from the CoreDuo will not fully spin up until it can feel the CPU to be really hot.

try dissabling fan warning and detection, in the BIOS, but that is dangerous if you leave it off all the time
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiria
    This is my first time posting, and im sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but i ran across a similar problem as the OP. I have the same mobo as the OP. The main difference is my problem slowly degenerated over a period of a month roughly. I'm fairly new to computer building, but an experienced friend helped me out. I noticed that after a week or so, that the system had problems powering up. I would have to unplug the power supply and let it rest for a few mins, then plug it in again. The problem like the OP was the same: the fans, lights everything would power up for like half a second then power down. The Green light on the mobo would light up when the psu was plugged in. After a few weeks the problem became more frequent and would take longer, until eventually the system would not start up all the way.

Thinking it was a PSU problem, i purchased another one, and it worked, but only for a few days. Then like the old psu it had the same problem of not starting up all the way. Then i tried the old psu again just to see, and strangely enough it worked again. Then today after another 2 days it stopped working along with the new one. I tried switching the power/reset lines to the mobo but that had no effect, and the psu's both work, so do you think im looking at a mobo problem as well? I have not overclocked anything so i dont think the cpu would have burned out. Also i noticed that the problem started getting worse when i would leave my comp overnight for a day, then when i turned it off and restarted it wouldnt power up again.

Any advice would be great, as im still kinda newbish to this

Assuming the PSU is good and powerful enough for your system! If you check all your connections, make sure your heatsink is setaed properly, take out everything but the cpu, 1 stick ram, and video card and still it will not boot reliably then I'd bet your problem is a flakey MOBO.

Possibly RAM problem. Try 1 stick only and a different slot.

I'm just guessing, as the OP I have no real experience with this board yet.