Thread: Erratic Post on Startup

Erratic Post on Startup

It is an older unit:

AI-61 Shuttle mobo
    700 Mhz Athlon CPU
    Voodoo 3 video card

It takes about 3 tries to POST on startup most times. I tried reseating CPU (slot type) and video card. I have not tried putting the video card in a different PCI slot. Waiting to hear if anyone has heard of this type of problem before.

Am I right to focus on 1) mobo 2) CPU and 3) video card?

Usually when it starts the green power light flickers for a couple of seconds, I can hear the CPU fan running, but it never posts. After a couple of tries, it posts and everything is fine, once it starts it never crashes while on (at least it has not so far). Not sure how long this has been going on.

Thx for any tips.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds more like a power supply ready to die.

Antec 300W Power Supply

Never thought of that! I'll look into picking up a spare.

Thanks, Sterling

I exchanged Antec 300W Power Supply with HEC 350W Power Supply working in another unit. The Antec then went back in the second unit and works fine.

The HEC is in the first unit and nothing posts. Hard Drive spins, fans blow. Can I rule out the PSU's? I suspect CPU, mobo, or both. Its an old slot type mobo, I'm due for an upgrade to socket type. Make sense?

No video could mean the vga card or monitor is not working . Have you checked the monitor yet ? The Voodoo can be tested in the other pc to see if it works during POST.
    Since this is an old system , check for bad caps on the mobo and the vga card . Remove any add on cards from the mobo and disconnect any drives and external devices and see if something else is the problem .
    Another slot A cpu is cheaper than another system combo , but if your looking for an excuse to upgrade , now is a good time .

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Now the CPU, mobo, and RAM would be the next things to check.

I just had to replace a power supply in one of my older systems because of no video today. One of the power plugs that go into the mobo was burned black. It didn't damage the mobo though, so I was lucky.

Yes, I have checked the monitor, and swapped it out with another working system and the monitor checks out.

On to the mobo and vga card, cannot find any bad caps on either one. Heading off to day job now, will try video card in another computer tonight to rule that out.

Will also try a couple of spare memory sticks I have in the back room somewhere.

Later... we'll figure this out in a few days one way or the other.

Found the memory stick and it checks out. Also tried a different video card so that can be ruled out for now.

Rocketmech, I did some research and with xmas bills coming back and wife and kids on the mend, I took your advice and decided to give it one more go with slotted mobo. My least expensive repair option from what I can tell from all the posts here is to pick up Slot A CPU and take a shot at that. If I am wrong then it is most likely the mobo, or the CPU and mobo went down together, in which case I will have spent $14.99 total, with nothing else lost, and can probablyy sell Slot A CPU for next to nothing on ebay or keep it as souvenir.

In the meantime, plan B looks like an upgrade to new or used Socket type mobo and CPU.

I'll keep you posted, it won't be long now.

Another PC repaired and up and working thanks to SysOpt. The new CPU came in the mail today. I popped the old one out, took off the heat sink, attached it to the new Athlon 700 Mhz CPU with a little of the silver stuff, put it in place and everything works. I'm really glad the old AI61 Shuttle fired up again, I came to the decision this was going to be my last slotted mobo.

So in this case, when it doesn't post, but the HD spins, and the fans blow, there is still hope that the motherboard is alive.

It really makes me happy when I can fix a PC for just under three fivers!

Thanks Sterling and Rocketmech for the support.