Thread: Driver issue?

Driver issue?

I have a hp pavilion 531w that was given to me.
    Nothing was wrong physically with the system, the person just upgraded and said I could have the old one. I brought the system home and cleaned it off, spyware scan, virus scan, disk scan, memory test, HD test, etc... Once I got the system cleaned; system passed all hardware test, I upgraded to WinXP Pro; had Win XP home. I ran the upgrade instead of clean install so I wouldn't have to search for any drivers. Once I got the system upgraded, when I would run the windows in normal mode the system would BSoD on me; giving me a stop error but not stating why. I upgraded the video driver to the latest driver and still no help. I was able to get the system to stay up long enough to run the windows security updates. Now the system is worse, I've seen it BSoD on me when just setting at the windows logon screen. I turned off all start up applications except for McAfee and still BSoD. The system runs fine in safe mode so that points towards a driver issue, correct? The only hardware change I made was swapping out the CDRW drive with a more up to date CDRW drive; that wouldn't cause this problem would it? Not sure where to go from here so turning to the pro's for some guidance.

Thanks guys for any help you can provide.

Spec
    HP pavilion mx70
    1.3Ghz celeron
    256MB memory
    40GB HD with over 30GB free
    Sony CDRW drive
    Win XP Pro sp2
    Last edited by Sabbath; 12-16-2006 at 11:27 AM.
    Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.
    Proverbs 19:20

70 per cent of BSoD are driver related.

Why do you not just start over?

I like to try and figure out why things like this happen. I don't like to lose and starting over makes me feel like the machine beat me. Stubborn.

I understand but would you prefer to spend a week trying to troubleshoot this close to Christmas or spend 2 days installing Windows and get a fresh and undamaged system build.

Be smart, if you cannot get it sorted soon and you have everything at hand then crack on with an install.

Upgrading from Home to Pro is not only problematic at times but it eats free space more than if you have carried out a clean XP Pro install.

Did you know that?

G, I didn't know about the eating of space issue. Something to keep in mind next time.

Looks like I got it figured out; I updated the modem driver and it seems to be running ok now. So hopefully we helped each other out today.

Thanks G. Have a blessed day and a Happy Holiday.

That's good news

Happy Holiday's to you too