Thread: New Power Supply! Comp won't boot up, beeping noise!

New Power Supply! Comp won't boot up, beeping noise!

So I just replaced my 250 watt power supply in my HP desktop with an Antec 430 watt power supply. I also replaced my agp bfg 6800 oc with a agp BFG 7800 gs oc and replaced the generic 512 mb module with a gig of XMS corsair ram for a total of 1.5 g of ram. Well after connecting all the cables to the components i tried turning it on. It would power on but the screen would stay blank and there was a beeping noise coming from the back of the computer. I then switched to all the original componets and the comp worked fine. Do I have to change power settings in the bios for the power suppy to work? Also does anyone know what the beeping noise might've been? Any info will be greatly appreciated seeing as i dont want to take this to bestbuy even though it's free bacause of the plan.

components
    motherboard-ASUS P4SD-LA PES
    cpu- pentium 4 ht
    gpu-nvidia 7800 gs oc agp
    ram 1 gig of corsair xms
    half a gig of corsair value select ram
    power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103942

you are swapping out a lot of different parts. change one part, then test the system. process of elimination.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    What kind of beeping? How many beeps in a row. The pattern of beeps means something.

Are you positive the new parts you bought are compatible with the rest of your system or did you blindly buy something without researching the facts?

The beeping noise you hear is the BIOS beep code telling you what the problem is. Follow Midkynte's advice and change out one component at a time and reboot Windows. Use latest drivers from http://www.guru3d.com/ for graphics card, first clear previous drivers. BIOS beep codes are available here at Sysopt.

I suspect your problem is with incompatable system memory, so you might start there.

Make sure you have a power dongle connected to the video card (back). I've forgotten to do that once before....got a loud continuous beep. Couldn't figrue it out. Sometimes it's the simplest things that are overlooked.

This may not be the case with your problem...but I thought I would just post a 'reminder'.

Oh I made sure my components were compatible. I put all the old components back except that now of instead of two two sticks of 512mb of ddr ram (184 pin) i have a half gig stick and one full gig combined for 1.5gigs of ddr 184 pin ram. My computer works fine and actually booted up faster and Half Life 2 also ran faster, so I know it wasn't the system memory. And tincup the card was also connected but thanks for the advice. Sterling, i cant recall the pattern of beeps but i will be sure to remember it if it happens again. Mydknyte i will switch the power supply and run an old geforce 5200 i have lying around, if it works i will move onto the 6800 oc and if that works move on to the 7800 gs oc. Missiveusa, i will definetly looks into those bios beep codes. Thank you all for the advice.