Thread: wii

wii

wii stands for?

It may actually stand for something, but I haven't paid it any mind. I suspect it was highly abbreviated from it's development name.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Here is something i found.

The console was known by the codename of "Revolution" until April 27, 2006, immediately prior to E3.[23] According to the Nintendo Style Guide: A Guide to the Proper Usage of Some of Nintendo's Products, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured prominently in its trademark. Nintendo spells "Wii" with two "i"s to imply an image of players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers. The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:

Wii
    Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.[24]

Wii

Despite Nintendo's justification for the name, members of the press, online communities, and game developers[25] initially reacted negatively to the name change. Some "wish Nintendo had stuck with 'Revolution',"[25] pointed out phonetic similarities to the French word oui and mostly negative words in English,[25] or expressed "fear that the name would convey a continued sense of 'kidiness' [sic] to the console."[26] Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged the initial reaction and further explained the change:

Wii
    Revolution as a name is not ideal; it's long, and in some cultures, it's hard to pronounce. So we wanted something that was short, to the point, easy to pronounce, and distinctive. That's how 'Wii,' as a console name, was created.[27]
    MSI K9A2-CF | Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2.9 | 2x 1gb G-Skill PC2 6400 | Sapphire HD3870 @ 864/1316 | Hitachi 160 gig SATA | Toshiba DVD | OCZ 500w PSU | Realtek ALC888 | Cooler Master CM690 |