Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Missing Operating System"

"Missing Operating System"

Hi, this is my first post here. I came across this site on Google.

Anyways, Norton GoBack locked me out of using my computer (with the 0x15 error, which I read about here, and it didn't work for me) so I tried using an XP boot disk. Unfortunately, when I loaded the CD, it just hung at a loading bar and I unplugged and tried to boot it again. Well after a while, I knew this wasn't going to work, so I just turned on my PC without the boot disk. Now it gives me this message:

"Missing operating system
    Insert boot diskette in drive A, press spacebar when ready."

Problems are, my PC doesn't have a floppy disk drive, and I misplaced the original XP disk (SP1) that came with my computer. Is there anyway I can use my computer again, without clearing my HDDs? I have too much stuff on there to just.. have gone. Thanks.

Where did you get your computer from? You should probably ask them to send you another copy of your OS disk if it came with it. Anyway you could try copying system files from that XP boot disk you have to your harddrive, or doing a fdisk /mbr to rewrite the master boot record. And what good would formatting your hard drive do if you don't have an operating system to install on it?

I got my PC from Dell. I don't have access to my HDD from that PC. Would having an XP boot disk fix the problem?

You need to remove goback from the drive first. go to the link about making a goback boot CD here: Best of Data Storage

If you don't have the OS CD, you'll have to get one. just using the xp boot floppies will not cut it.

Well I got the NGBoot.iso from Norton's Support site, but even using that to unhook GoBack, I get an error (0x15) that will restart my PC, but then it just loops over and over again in that process, so I always start at square 1.

BTW, I think I have to clear up that I do not even have floppy disks in my house. Anything related to floppy disks will not help me.

the OS disc IS the bootable CD. floppies are the only other "xp boot disks".

if you can't remove the Goback overlay, you could put goback on another system. install your drive as a slave and pull the data off. then zerofill your drive. merely formatting will not remove goback. that's why i don't recommend goback to anyone.

Forget the floppy thing. It's just a standard error and we know all about it.

It sounds like the hard drive died. You need to diagnose the drive. You should use the utility from the drive manufacturer, but SeaTools will work:

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
    MS MCP, MCSE

Just a question. If I did obtain a copy of Windows XP on a disk, could I simply use it to repair whatever's wrong with my PC?

I agree with BPB. Test the drive to make sure it is not defective first. no sense in trying to repair software on a bad drive.

Even if you get a Dell XP boot cd (yes you need a specifically DELL XP disc), it wouldn't be able to see the partitions because of goback.

Ok, well from that site, I get which one of the 3 files? Sorry, i'm very non-computer savvy.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Seatools Desktop download.

Downloaded, image burned. I'm running a full scan on it right now and i'll update later with results. Thanks for all of your help so far!
    Last edited by mean2u; 11-30-2006 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Ok, here are the results. Sorry if it's a little low quality.

There you have it; bad drive.

Nothing else can be done?
    Last edited by mean2u; 11-30-2006 at 10:55 PM.