Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monitor goes out when computer fully boots up

Monitor goes out when computer fully boots up

Right after I did a windows update for this Dell system, and updated the driver for the display, when it boots up, right before you see the Windows 2000 white box (when it goes into the resolution that it is set for), the monitor goes out. I have tried a few times going into Safe Mode, uninstalling both display drivers, and then rebooting, but after I change the resolution back to the normal 1024 X 768 (I am able to boot up initially), the screen goes out, and then the entire screen turns an aqua green. Very weird.

Any ideas?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like a bad video driver. Maybe try using one of the standard drivers to get running, then install the next oldest driver for the video card and wait for them to fix the problems.

Is the video integrated or a card? I just changed out a video card in a 2-1/2 year Dell that had bad capacitors. It worked ok in safe mode but would die in regular mode. The new card works fine.

Does the monitor turn off or does the light on the monitor stay lite?

What color is the light? Does it stay on steady or flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    Does the monitor turn off or does the light on the monitor stay lite?

What color is the light? Does it stay on steady or flash?
    The monitor light goes from green to orange and is steady (does not flash).

It's a video card. Was working fine until I updated the driver from Windows Update.

Just downloaded the driver for this specific monitor (that did not come with this system, by the way, but it's still a Dell LCD monitor), installed it, and after I tried to change the refresh rate to 85 MHz, the whole screen went to a solid aqua color again.

When the monitor goes to an all aqua green color (the screen is one solid color), then the light on the monitor stays a solid green.

Quote Originally Posted by BBCMember
    It's a video card. Was working fine until I updated the driver from Windows Update.

Next time Windows Update says you need a driver update , check with Dell or the manuf. to see if there is one and if you even need it .

Try a driver rollback from Device Manager in Safe Mode . If you already changed the video card , reinstalling the Dell card again with the driver from Dell should work . Unless of coarse the Windows driver sent it over the edge and its defective now .

Where is the driver rollback utility? It's running Win2k.

Should I try repairing the OS via the OS CD?

Repaired the OS with the Win2k disk (I used the repair option that is further in the installation process that is more complete than the one that you see when you first get into the installation section), and it did not fix it.

Reinstall OS or new video card or other option?

To roll back your video card drivers: Right click on My Computer, goto properties. Click on the Hardware tab and enter Device Manager. Expand Display Adapters. right click your video card and click Properties. Click the Driver tab and there should be a Roll Back Driver option.

Hey own: That would be a great trick that you posted if BBCMember could see what he was doing on the computer. But since the screen goes BLANK, then I guess your rollback process is useless.

BBC: Do you have a spare video card and a spare monitor? It sounds like the current driver is set to a resolution or refresh rate outside of the LCD monitors specs. and you may need to install another video card to be able to see what you are doing.

The solid amber color on the monitor means it is not getting a signal or the signal is out of range.

NEVER, ever run an LCD monitor above the standard 60Hz refresh rate. You get the best quality image at the native mode of the LCD.

Sterling , he said he was able load Safe Mode 2x in his original post . His last post says he did a repair install of W2K . So, video is there in safe mode . Yes I do agree he needs to keep the monitor at its native resolution settings , but Windows is probably still loading the WU driver since its still considered the latest driver , that or the vid card is now defective. The only way I know to remove a WU driver is to roll back . Perhaps there is additional listings in Add/Remove as well . I still think he needs the Dell driver.

Ok, so it was a bad night...

Thanks. It ended up being the refresh rate. Now I have another problem.

Ever since the repairing of the OS, it has been very temperamental with regard to executing programs on the server remotely. When the computer first boots up, it can connect fine, but after opening and closing IE, it just hangs. I did not check to see if opening other programs caused this hanging as well.

In any case, do Win2k machines network easily with WinXP machines and Win2003? Should I upgrade the machine to WinXP or can I fix this situation?

I also tried running the network wizard again, but it did not fix this issue.

Please advise.