Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Windows load time 2 minutes+

It was selective, but what I don't get is why my services ran even though the services box wasn't ticked...........

Anyway I started over at Normal and it took forever. Then I went to Diagnostic and it only took around 22 seconds for the Startup+Logon with a 57~ second total boot.

So then I did selective one at a time. With win.ini and system.ini I get the same results as diagnostic, and I also got the same result with them both at the same time.

What I found out was that running Load System Services is what brings me up to the 97 seconds in the Startup + Logon. (even though when I went into msconfig it wasn't ticked and I was on selective)

So I guess the next step is to find out what service is causing this. 22 seconds logon and 57 seconds total still seems kind of slow to me, but a lot faster than it has been.

*edit* Oh I know why it was on selective, it's because when I want to update my video card drivers, I uninstall them and then boot to safe mode and use driver cleaner. I'm lazy so I go to msconfig and click on the /safeboot argument in boot.ini then restart right out of there. It auto switches to selective when you do that. But I still don't know why services was unchecked even though I was using a lot of services.
    Last edited by own; 11-28-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Well I started to go through my services snap in to disable one at a time to see what happens. After the first couple I noticed only 4 of the services set to manual were started, so I tried those. The first one was Shell Hardware Detection.

I disabled it and rebooted. Started up quick. So now to do some research on Shell Hardware Detection to find out what is really happening. Guess I'll have to double click my cd rom until then, darn.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Shell Hardware detection can be disabled which I do on all of my systems (I hate extra services running just because they can).