Thread: Can't Open Excel File Directly.

Can't Open Excel File Directly.

Hi all, I am using office XP.

I have this problem that I can't seem to open any excel file directly from my document or desktop, when I double click any file, it opens up excel and then just struck there with a "Ready" on the lower left corner....

But when I open from excel - File -> Open and it works.....

I tried reinstalling the program and tried 'Excel /regserver' but no luck....

Please help....
    Life is what happens when you are busy planning other things

Is there a utility that can totally clean up the office xp so that I can do a clean install....?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Use the control panel add/remove programs. Do a remove completely option. Then use a registry cleaner such as Registry Booster or JV16 Power Tools to clean up the bits.

Ultimate Member
    I think all you need to do is go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options,
    File Types .. check to see if .xls (Excel file type) is set to Open With Excel
    If not change it and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by bruceb
    I think all you need to do is go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options,
    File Types .. check to see if .xls (Excel file type) is set to Open With Excel
    If not change it and see what happens

Yes, nothing is wrong with the file association.

I have this problem that I can't seem to open any excel file directly from my document or desktop, when I double click any file, it opens up excel and then just struck there with a "Ready" on the lower left corner....
    anyway you can ctrl / print screen and show us what you're getting? If you reinstalled it then the "detect and repair" option might not work but easy to try

if this occurred recently did you install other apps recently, and/or have you, or did you, as soon as the problem occured, try a restore point?

and because you checked both file associations and the regserver solutions try this link for other info?