Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PC to PC via USB?

I think you all have your craniums firmly embedded in your rectums. All motherboards have legacy IDE connectors. He can just put the old drive in the new PC and do whatever he wants for free.

Shees...
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    That assumes his new computer comes with an IDE connector (not all do, especially certain Dell Optiplex desktops which have only SATA connectors.) and it also assumes the IDE cable has two drive connectors on it or he will have to disconnect his CDROM drive and then the BIOS may burp about the missing CDROM drive.

There are too many possible issues since he did not tell us what kind of computer his old one is nor do we know what his new one is. Without details this while conversation is moot.

there is always the easy method to understand

USB to USB data transfer cable (but transfering data via usb is soooo slow)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...0986&CatId=445
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

You want slow, try serial to serial using dial up and ftp, or parallel to parallel using software like LapLink.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    You want slow, try serial to serial using dial up and ftp, or parallel to parallel using software like LapLink.
    ohhh i remember those days waaaay too well

i still can't believe back in the 80s we had to use those methods to transfer data between machiens
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Hey i finally found the cable i was talking about

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA3004.htm

USB 2.0 this is waaaay faster than the other one posted before using USB 1.0

Ultimate Member
    Network cables come in two basic flavors, whether cat5 or 6e. In most networks you will use straaight patch cables where each each wire goes to the corresponding same pin in socket. In a peer to peer 2 pc simple network where one connects to the internet via broadband on one nic, another nic will connect to the second pc using "crossover cable" which is the same as patch cable BUT two wire pairs are twisted over to the opposite connections, preventing catastrophic headon byte collisions if patch cables were used. Its like a 4lane hiway, running two headlong into each other wouldnt work as well(imagine the crashes) until you loop the lanes to cross them over going in the same direction to ONLY join with lanes going in SAME direction. Its easier than it sounds.

There, thats done.. cheaper by a hundred bucks than buying a temporary ext drive.

The external case I bought was only $25 and I keep the old hard drive in it and use it every week on several computer to make my backups on it.

You do make backups don't you?

ehemm... ehemm...

FYI: the original topic was about "PC to PC via USB"

re: back, yep i use external USB drives as well with a $30 Firewire/USB2.0 case with any of my old spare HDD

now... to continue a related question i have about this,... i better open a new topic

CROSSBOX- PC to PC Data Transfer and Backup Device

Once connected to each PC, CROSSBOX automatically displays both hard drives on the screen enabling the user to quickly locate and copy files to and from each system. Operating at USB 2.0 speeds, CROSSBOX moves files 600 % faster than standard flash memory-based storage media. CROSSBOX is pocket-sized and has retractable cables allowing it to be easily carried anywhere.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

The link appears to be dead but this is a pretty nifty product..
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Steve, the link doesn;t work

i think you wanted to link this? http://www.jmtek.com/products/crossbox.html

re: Product

Yes this one is even better than the ones i've found before.

i'm interested in one for my self now

gonna have to check my local places and hope they carry it

OMG the price is so cheap as well just below $50 at Amazon (keeping my finger crossed hoping to find a local retailer that carries it)

hmm.... after some more indepth reading into that thing.

It's good, for simplicity, but... the extra $30 is really more for that build in application than the device.

originally i though there was an internal hard drive in that thing, but i guess i had the wrong impression, what it really does is that it "simulates" the other computer as a hardrive via its build-in software application.

this Product is better marketed for those Less technical Savvy people, that just wants to transfer files

for the rest of us, the previous $19 USB PC to PC cables are more than enough
    Last edited by AllGamer; 12-04-2006 at 10:50 AM.

My two cents.
    Fine, let him learn a thing or two AFTER he has his only copy of his important data files copied onto the new drive.
    I personally know nothing about networking, but this seemed like a good project to learn with, and I actually understood some of what was said. I belive this is why threads are kept. So that others can learn as well as the original poster. Options are a good thing, no?

If he screws up setting up the network and deletes the files thinking they are copied when they aren't, then he will be upset at all of us.
    This may be true, but it would be his own fault when you yourself made the best suggestion(quick and easy) of a flash drive.

Keep it simple stupid. Then learn.
    Agree!

But in this case the OP did ask for more information on the alternate method. And whatever method he chooses to use should be his decision. Elaboratting on setting up a wired network will help him choose which way is better for him, and at the same time help others like myself understand. Unless of course you would prefer someone to start a new thread on the same subject. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-ud4p / 3.1 AM3 Phenom II x2 550 Black Edt. Callisto / Corsair XMS2 2x2gb DDR2800 / 640gb Caviar Black 2ea./ HIS 4670 1gb DDR3 / Rosewill Case 5604 with 650 EarthWatts / XP Home 32bit