Thread: Anybody using this Vista pack 4...thoughts?

Anybody using this Vista pack 4...thoughts?

http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/05...ista-for-free/

I just downloaded the installer rar file,but being cautious is best attitude,I haven't installed it yet... Want to read some more reviews by users . I've already read some very good reviews,but when you install this..,a warning message box pops up decaring the usual 'use at your own risk' and other...

If something was amiss and you wanted to go back, i wonder if a simple system restore would work ??
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

just install it on a separate partition & then you will have a dual boot.

Just tried it on a spare lappy, works fine.

I would suggest a good video card though, the onboard on the lappy has trouble with the transparency. Not quite like vista either, vista has the transparent top of the toolbar, this one the actual folder window is transparent ( translucent ) and the top as well. Neat but a little differant.

The start menu is unchanged as well.

Sounds are nice, all the pictures are there. Its a nice facsimile
    to many pc's to list

Display settings on some rigs could pose some problems...possibly. I used to use Windowblinds, but i have always ended up having issues with that.., so now i am back using Style XP. I imaginie this is alot like those ..but just one basic facsimile.

Not enough space on either HD to install a dual boot right now.. but thats a good idea. Makes more sense ot just put a copy of Vista on one if done in the future.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I tried it, it's nothing like the Vista RC2 beta. It also hinders performance. The sounds were obnoxious, and the icons had no AA.

To remove it cleanly, just make a restore point before installing it. Use the app's uninstaller. When it finishes rebooting and removing itself, open System Restore and restore back to the point before installing the app. It's like I never even installed it.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

Thats why i wrote the post.. to get an honest opinion. My intuition told me it might be something i just don't need. i got too much stuff and programs in my main OS as it is... have to keep working on it every day to make it run smooth with as little gliches as i can... So far so good.
    I sure do need another HD. makes me mad that i need a new video card ,and i gots like four other things to get first like always.. HD is first. Another DVD RW drive is next.

I just reran it and selected uninstall and it got rid of its self quite well.

It borked the XP themes up upon restart, only the windows classic one was left. I ran uxtheme and restarted and got them all back.

It was differant but it was pretty resource hungry. I noticed it slowed my laptop down rather badly is why i got rid of it.
    to many pc's to list