Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Delete 0-Byte File

Cannot Delete 0-Byte File

Hi,

This is actually the first time I've ever posted a question on a tech forum. Usually I can research a problem and eventually figure it out for myself, but after almost a year of searching off and on, I have given up on finding a solution on my own

There is a file on my desktop called CAWD6VC5. There is no file extension, and the filesize is 0 bytes. Attempts to hex edit the file or delete it within windows return file not found errors ("Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"). I can access its properties in windows, and it doesn't even have creation or modification dates.

I have tried deleting it from the command prompt. I have tried using MoveOnBoot to delete the file before windows starts. I have even tried using "Open With" to open it in notepad, put data in it, save it, and then delete it. None of this has worked.

A google search has indicated that this file might have been created by digital camera software. Possibly the program crashed during a save, right at the moment it was going to give itself a JPG extension and fill the file with data. Who knows.

I read a similar post in another forum, and one response was that there is a unique glitch in XP that causes problems like this, and the only way to fix it is to format the hard drive. That sounds ridiculous. But, then, so does this situation.

The only thing that I can come up with and haven't tried yet, is using a program that can create files with no extensions, replacing the file with one with data in it, and then deleting it. Anyone know of such a program, whatever its intended applications?

Any ideas, no matter how outlandish, are most welcome... as long as they don't involve nuking my hard drive.. after all, this is mostly a cosmetic problem, as the file is not taking up any space whatsoever..except visually, on my desktop.

Thanks a lot!
    -Tre

That is very, very strange.
    I'll suggest this, just because you didn't mention already trying it... although if you already tried deleting it before windows booted than I doubt this will work.... but worth a shot I guess.

What camera software was it?
    Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?
    What did it tell you when you tried to delete it with command prompt?
    Have you tried from DOS?
    I assume you can't just rename the file to give it an extention?

This is a most interesting predicament. I'd like to know how it goes.

Good luck.

sounds more like a spyware file than a botched photo.

boot to a UBCD4Win or Knoppix disc and try removing it that way.
    Tech Tools

MoveOnBoot allows you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock or alter the files. The changes are made to your hard drive before Windows starts (it requires a restart of your system after you give MoveOnBoot its instructions). There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step process. For more information about how this tool can help you, see the Can't delete files tutorial.
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Take the drive out and slave it to another PC. You should easily be able to delete the file then.

Or, get a copy of BartPE bootable XP CD and do the delete right from inside Bart.

Either way should work.

Forgot to mention, Triangle-- in DOS, this file does not exist, PERIOD. I wasn't using the computer when this file was created. I misspoke before: no camera software was used, just direct USB transfer. And, no, attempts to rename the file return the same "Cannot read from source file or disk" errors.

Baddog, I tried that, and it's in my original post. Thanks anyway though!

Sterling, I'm trying BartPE as soon as I post this. Will be back with results! Thanks you!

BartPE did not work (in explorer or command prompt, same deal there: DOS does not even see the file).

Also, yes, I have tried safe mode.

Yeah, it does seem like some sort of malware, but I'm pretty on top of keeping my computer clean, and my AdAware, Spyware Doctor, and Norton AntiVirus definitions are all up to date. I have also searched the registry for anything pointing to this file, and performed search within *.* files for the filename... all turned up nothing.

-Tre

Quote Originally Posted by treelzebub
    Yeah, it does seem like some sort of malware, but I'm pretty on top of keeping my computer clean, and my AdAware, Spyware Doctor, and Norton AntiVirus definitions are all up to date. -Tre
    That is your problem!

You are relying on ineffective programs to protect you from viruses and spyware.

AdAware and Norton are the worst!

Try Adware Away, Counter Spy, Registry Booster, and Kaspersky then tell us what they found.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    Knoppix disc and try removing it that way.
    Tech Tools
    If DOS doesn't see it, then try Linux.

The file only exists AFTER the spyware creates it when it loads within Windows.

If DOS doesn't see the file, and BartPE (WinXP) does not see it, then Linux never has a chance fo seeing the file either.

try Unlocker or WhoLockMe

Ultimate Member

Have you tried safe mode and then stopped any and all processes that may have started that you know you don't need, isolate what may be using the file? If your volume is NTFS what do you see with the freeware NTFS readers that are out there? It's obvious you've already tried the better software out there - designed to do this for you.

I had a file I couldn't get rid of for weeks, I don't believe a reformat is needed, just patience....I did, lie you, check registry, programs, etc. finally simply ran chkdsk in full mode (you know, when the machine restarts and runs through all it's steps - the file not found error disappeared, changed file attributes (had them all, system, hidden, read only etc.), then finally got rid of it - hope this helps....

hmmmm...did a google search looking for that file name, maybe a visit to the wrong site ? link

Had a buddy who has bad habits, buys a new machine every year because he can't stay ahead of all the malware, spyware, etc. You could also try, in safe mode with networking, and eliminating any apps that may be using the file, then try Trendmicro Housecall and do a complete scan - it got rid of a very nasty virus that shredded Norton, limited access to most AV sites, etc - might help here?

Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off