Thread: X2 4800 On Fire

X2 4800 On Fire

I have a X2 4800 running at (225*12) 2700 Mhz being cooled by Asus Silent Square:

Voltage : 1.375

Load 58-61 C (Depending on room Temp/ Running Prime & Video game)

Idle 48-52 C (Depending on Room Temp / Running Firefox / Media Player etc)

Case : Antec P180 (5 120's / 3 80's Fans)

Mad Shrimp seems to thinks these temps are good. I am confused

I always though south of 50 C was the target. Though this is my first dual core...

....All insight appreciated

Madshrimp Review
    AMD X2 4800 (Toledo) / 12 * 225 = 2700
    Asus A8N32 / SLI Deluxe
    Seagate SATA 2 : 250 *2 (Raid 0)
    XFX Geoforce 7950 GT
    GEIL PC 4000 / Platinum (512 *4)
    Audigy 4
    Antec TPII -550 Watt
    Antec P180 Case
    Asus Silent Square

THat's TOo HOT!

You need to check your grease or get a better COOLER!
    AMD Opty 165 2900 actual mhzzzzzz's
    Assrock 939dualSata

Clocked back to 215*12 (2585) @ 1.38 volts & re set the stock HS : I suspect Square is warped.

Idle : 45-46

Load: 53-55

This look acceptable

I'd love a higher OC but the Temps (Needed voltage >1.4) is too high.

Any thoughts ?
    AMD X2 4800 (Toledo) / 12 * 225 = 2700
    Asus A8N32 / SLI Deluxe
    Seagate SATA 2 : 250 *2 (Raid 0)
    XFX Geoforce 7950 GT
    GEIL PC 4000 / Platinum (512 *4)
    Audigy 4
    Antec TPII -550 Watt
    Antec P180 Case
    Asus Silent Square

Arctic Cooling 64 Freezer Pro
    AMD Opty 165 2900 actual mhzzzzzz's
    Assrock 939dualSata

Screw the warranty, lap your core. Did my 6600. Temps dropped by 7 to 8C easily. That POS integrated HS on those cores is not flat compared to your cooler. Just stamped metal with a finish mill on the top. Got high and low points. Looked at my 6600, 6300 and a couple of X2 3800's I have and all except one had high points at the corners, the exception had the high point in the center. Even though you put thermal paste to fill the gaps, better to get as close to a flush fit as possible.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

how should you hold the CPU as you lap the top of it? Because i can take mine to my grandfathers house and use a Jewelry polishing wheel with 15,000 grit polishing paste.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

Get a flat piece of glass, like a 8" of larger mirror, some wet/dry sandpaper and polishing compound. Start with about ~600 grit paper and tape it flat and tight to the mirror. Apply a little water/oil/lubricant to the paper. Hold your core carefully and go to work. Some say to use circular motion, I use back and forth, keeping the HS flat on the paper. Next do the same with ~800 grit then 1000 grit or higher if you can get it. For polishing I strech a piece of soft cloth like flannel across the glass then start with a medium grade compound and finish with the fine compound. I don't trust a power wheel, can see problems that can arise.
    When you first start, you will notice the high spots starting to loose their coating. On mine, the grey colored metal came off and revealed the copper metal underneath and showed a depression in the middle of the hs. I kept going until the I started to see the copper starting to be exposed evenly across the hs.
    Caveat: I do not know exactly how thick the hs is, so there may be a chance you could sand a hole through the hs. I didn't.
    Finally clean up with Alcohol and a good blast of air.
    When you apply your thermal past, be scrimpy, you will not need much, if your heat sink is flat also. I put a VERY small dab in the middle then spread it with a razor blade very thin.
    Good luck.

on his polishing machine there is a big wheel and then the fine detail wheel for those really small cervaces in rings and such. I will try it with a old P4 proc to test it and see how it will affect it, if no problems then i will do it with my X2 proc
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

You are trying to get it flat, not polish the high and low points.
    Make it flat first then polish the flat part while keeping it flat (It's late did that make any sense?)
    Use a piece of glass backed up by something flat. If you just use a polishing wheel it will not flatten out the high points.
    If you don't back the glass up it may/will bend during the lapping operation and you will still not get a truely flat surface.
    A figure * motion turning the processor 1/4 turn every 5 to 10 cycles works best for me.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-01-2006 at 10:02 PM.
    Got me one o' them 'puter thangs!

what do you mean by backing it with glass?

I use a piece of 1 1/2 inch thick partical board as the surface to rest the glass flat on. If you try to do it unsupported or on a non flat surface it distorts the end result.
    If you have nothing truely flat check your countertops (away from the edge, and assuming that they are not tile , tile=bad) with a straightedge. If you cant see light under the straightedge its relatively flat in that direction. if you can see light under the straight edge move it around untill you find an area that has no light showing then turn it 90 degees. if no light shows then you have found a flat spot to place the glass while you doyour lapping.
    Edit I ment figure 8 not figure* in the above post.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-01-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Got me one o' them 'puter thangs!

nice tutorial mobo57, but where does one get this "compound" that I keep hearing about?

Jewelers Polishing Compound. Can find it at Home Depot or any major hardware store. Runs about 3$ a tube. Some people also use Brasso. But, and this is just my opinion, you will reach a level of diminishing returns.
    While it is nice to have your mating surfaces polished to a high scheen, I question the need. Reason being, regardless how flat of a surface you have to work with, you will not get the surfaces perfectly flat. Granted by lapping you will get them probably much closer than how they came out of the box, but there will still be microscopic variations in the surfaces, so that there will still be some high and low points, they will just be much smaller and the contact of metal surface to metal surface will be much greater thereby allowing a better heat transfer than having to rely on a relatively thick layer of thermal paste to fill the gap.
    And in line with this, I am currently finishing some "hard" mods to a spare P5W DH mobo and a E6300 core. I have base line temps for the core at idle, load and ambient, unlapped and then lapped. I just finished removing the integrated HS from the chip and will be doing measurements with the cooler mounted directly to the core.....
    But that's gonna be a new thread.