Thread: Has anyone used one of these for HD data transfer?

Has anyone used one of these for HD data transfer?

Hi,

I have just put together a new system with an SATA HD in it and I want to transfer the contents of the IDE HD I had in my old box. I was looking around for information on going about this with ease when I came across this gizmo. Has anyone here ever used something like this to transfer data from an IDE to SATA drive?

http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr.html

Would this work as if I were hooking up an external drive through the USB port and the new PC would recognize it as just removable drive? I know my digital camera, when hooked up with the AC adaptor and USB interface cable is recognized as just another drive. Would this also apply to this set up?

Thanks!!

As it's name implies:

CABLEMAX USB SATA and USB IDE MULTIFUNCTION ADAPTER for 2.5" 3.5" and 5.25" IDE and SATA Optical Drives and Hard Drives!
    It works as an external drive without the enclouser...

I have two of em. The one from Bytech that I have sucks due to a poor design. (power cord won't stay plugged in)

You could save some money by taking the drive out and maiking it a slave in the new system.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Thanks for the info. I most likely will do just that. Take the IDE HD out and make it a slave and just transfer the data that way. I can't see spending money on something I will not use all that often.

I just wanted to know if anyone has really used these crazy things. I would imagine that is you were some one who did a lot of data transfers I guess this would be an okay thing to have.