Thread: Odd connectivity issues

Odd connectivity issues

Hi there.

We have one laptop that has some very odd and annoying internet connectivity issues on our network. It's a relatively modern XP SP2 machine, fully patched. Basically, some things don't work, such as some web sites, pop3 access and connection to remote mysql databases through data sources locally. I have been through this machine with a very fine tooth comb and the only thing I have come up with is that the computer brower service starts and then stops immediately. Event viewer doesn't say it's a problem, but merely says some services do this but I didn't think this was the case with the computer brower service?

I have run several virus checks, both locally and from remote sources, more ad/spyware checks than I can remember and even run the winsockip fix.

Please help, I am at my wits end with this one.

Graeme.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Have you tried running Counterspy or Adware Away yet? Running an inefficent anti-virus or anti-spyware program is just as bad as not runnig it at all.

Those two aren't ones I have tried, but it's running Symantec AV corp, I've run panda activescan, hijack this, stinger, an online trojan scanner I found, windows defender and many more.

I firmly believe it's a setting thing somewhere, but I have no idea.

I think if I can nail the Computer Browser service starting then immediately terminating, the issue will be solved. I don't know how to do this though. Any ideas?

I have now tried Counterspy and Aware Away.

Counterspy found a few low priority cookies which I deleted, and AA found the default IE search hook was missingm which unless I am wrong really isn't important. Anything else chaps?