Thread: Can I have my desktop icons disappear?

Can I have my desktop icons disappear?

I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I was just wondering if there is a program out there that could make my desktop icons disappear from my desktop after a specified amount of time of mouse inactivity, then reappear with mouse movement (sort of like the screen saver does).

If not, where are the screensaver images saved to? I could just copy the image I currently have as a background on my desktop into that folder and set it as a screensaver and just set it to like 1 minute

Not sure about any programs, but if you don't want icons, right click the desktop, go to arrange icons and click hide icons, poof all gone. until you want them back! Then right click again and click show icons. I personally have no icons, hate them.

Not knowing which OS you're usin I'll presume that it's Windows XP. Windows XP stores all desktop backgrounds or wallpapers inside
    %windir%\Web\Wallpaper\
    (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\)

Quote Originally Posted by cybland
    Not knowing which OS you're usin I'll presume that it's Windows XP. Windows XP stores all desktop backgrounds or wallpapers inside
    %windir%\Web\Wallpaper\
    (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\)

Sorry, Yes, Win XP (I always forget to post my OS)

I ended up copying my desktop image into a folder and using the screensaver setting of "My Pictures Slideshow" was somewhat able to accomplish what I wanted, other than the image on my desktop is being displayed a little smaller when shown as screensaver (even though I have it set to display at 100% screen size)

leprechaun, I like your idea also. Is there a hot key to accomplish that, or just via the right click of the mouse?
    Last edited by FlameOut; 09-29-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Difference in size comes from the fact that the picure that you're using has smaler resolution than your screen setting. You have a checkbox in "My Pictures Slideshow" settings that streches smaller pictures and this should do the trick. As for the Hot key for show desktop icons option I don't think that there is one.

As far as I know, just the right click menu.