Thread: Reinstalling WinMe

Reinstalling WinMe

What are the various ways of reinstalling WinMe from "minimal change to Files & Folders" (F&F) to "maximum change to F&F". I think the latter is called a FULL install. I would like to not lose all the program info and have to reinstall the apps. I can't find most of the installation disks for the apps.

Thanks

Others more knowledgeable than I may disagree, but in my experience you have two choices: (1) Install over the existing copy of WinMe, which preserves all your files and programs and (2) reformat your hard drive and start over from scratch, in which case you loose all your files and programs. It’s been my experience that doing a re-install over an existing copy of Windows does not work well, so I have always ended up doing a fresh install.

For future reference, I suggest two things: (a) Keep your permanent files on a separate drive from your system drive, whether it be a second physical drive or a logical drive on your only hard drive and (2) ALWAYS keep your program disks and documentation. If your hard drive crashes, how will you rebuild your system? That’s pretty much where you are now.

One more thing: There is NO easy way to rebuld a system. It's a pain no matter what, and the older it is (meaning it has more files and programs) the bigger the pain.
    Last edited by daverme; 09-25-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks

A little advice from someone who's run ME since it came out. A reinstall over the existing doesn't always work, it's not like a repair of XP, it just writes over the existing files, and doesn't always fix a problem. I'd suggest a complete FULL install after backing up any really important stuff. Also, to make ME run better, once you've installed, immediately disable the system restore, it never worked right in the first place and caused more trouble than it fixed. You might also want to disable PC health as well. I've always done this with my ME machines and they run great after that. Also, if you can, get all the updates to ME. Not sure they're still available but I'd look into it.