Thread: no post

no post

ive doing working on water cooling. Bought the coolermaster aquagate(not the mini) and got it working on my first try. The temperatures where off thought due to i couldnt get the thermal sensor in the right position and plus i had air in my water system. So i do what anyone else would do, shake the lcu and keep refilling it until no more air. And take the water block off to tape the thermal sensor in the right location.

But when i go to take the waterblock off the processor comes out of the socket with the locking mechanism still being engaged. So i slide it off the water block seeing there is way too much thermal grease on it. and it kinda gets everywheres on the processor. So i clean the **** thing as much as i can with latex gloves on, and 3 new tooth brushes. Basically I put everything the way it was suppose to be done in the first place.
    But this is my first time dealing with water cooling and i think i did an ok job with no help at all until now.

Ok got everything hooked up and ready to go, but i turn it on and nothing comes on the monitor, and the cdrom's light is frozen. I did all the useal stuff, reset the cmos( atleast i think i did it right) Take off every component not need except memory, video, and processor. resitted the processor, make sure every cable is hooked up right.

But still no post, no beeps nothing.

its a msi k8t neo fsr board with a amd 64bit 3000+

the only thing that i can think of doing is seeing if the motherboard is shorting out to the case, but why would it since it worked before in the same location, i didnt move it, just the water block. Also maybe reflash the bios? Would be slightly difficult but i could manage to do so if thats my only hope.

You need to recheck there are no missing pins on the cpu .

Ok ill double check that, what i seemed to have found earlier is that there is some fibers on the little cpu threads. but very very tiny stuff, all the cpu threads are all aligned last time i checked. But like i said, ill double check.

you should use only a small amount of thermal grease - otherwise too much ends up spread everywhere and it can actually act as an insulator.

....."no post" doesn't tell us much and if no beep codes - you sure you have an onboard speaker or a case speaker plugged into the mobo? I'd suspect either the cpu or the motherboard - sounds like things got messy there - grease in the socket, water? I've seen mobos/CPUs go in seconds if insufficient cooling and you don't get that thermal high low warning.

Ugly when that CPU pops out when you yank the cooler. And clearing CMOS - 1. pull power cord, set jumper to pins 2-3, wait 15 seconds, also pull battery and reinstall - then replace jumper to pins 1-2. Then plug in power cord.

I doubt reflashing the BIOS - in fact if it's freezing at your cd-rom are you sure you can even get access to the floppy - is it lighting up briefly when you power on - is going to help. So let us know before you try that.

Speaker is hooked up, double checked the pins. turns out the processor back pins was slightly bent, giving me the impression that it was locked in at the angle i was looking at but it wasnt. Could the cpu short out of some of the pins wasnt locked in? Is the grease conductive? If it is, then im afraid that either the proccessor or mobo shorted then because yes, it was messy. It was my first time doing this and the manual didnt specify on how much, nor did it give me a "butter knife". so i kinda just guestimated.

You can find good directions for applying thermal compound from the Artic Silver people even if your not using their product , http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

After you have things cleaned up , try again with the fan . If it doesn't POST , then assume you shorted something .

Basicly.. applying thermal paste is no big deal.. Important to make sure the suface is clean though of all excess or old dried up paste. When applying the paste.. you want to put just a thin layer spread evenly aross the CPU. it does not take a whole lot. A nice dab of teh tube and spread it out so all is covered.

Bent pins or mising pins are a big problem. They have to seat in the slot fully and snug.. or you will not get a post. I did that myself by accident with my current CPU. Do not cram anything in. Yu should know when its seated. If done correctly, the whole CPU should just pop right in. if not then somethings wrong. This is a very delicate mehanism as far as pins go.

Read carefully what 'rmanet' said above about the reseting of camos and battery. mine did not post also and i had to reset mine once or twice for this new mobo. PLEASE... make sure the power is off. very imortant. ( and of ocurse make sure the monitor itself is attached porperly to the mobo outlet )

Also a good idea to recheck that the power on pins on the mobo are in fully and in the right place.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 09-25-2006 at 07:44 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    Tip: For most CPU's with little short straight pins
    Use an empty Mechanical Lead Pencil to straighten
    out the leads .. it will fit perfectly over the pins and
    is easy to get them pretty straight

It could be that mobo does not detect a CPU fan installed, as such some mobos will not boot, however, got the feeling you fried the CPU.

Time to get a good and known working spare CPU and /or Mobo to know for sure.

Sorry!

Got it working

Here is what i did exactly
    1. Unplug and sit it on the floor
    2. Leave the case open(doesnt matter, but just for scientific purposes im mentioning it)
    3. Take the cmos jumper to 1-2
    4. waited for about 20 mins
    5. take the battery off
    6. wait for about 30 mins
    7. reinsert the batter and jumper in that order
    8. working computer