Thread: Notebooks and Extended Warranties?

Notebooks and Extended Warranties?

I'm thinking of buying an entry-level notebook... something like the Compaq V2710CA , which can be had in-store for $699CDN. Given the price, the specs are decent - 14" wide (small footprint), 1GB DDR, DL DVD±RW and a 6-cell battery.

I'm a little put off by the 1-year warranty on notebooks tho given the cost of service related to major components (LCD, backlight, motherboard, etc). Memory and HDD's are pretty cheap tho should either fail after the first year. Is it worthwhile to purchase an extended warranty on notebooks in this price range? I've never owned a notebook before and work primarily with desktops day-to-day, so i'm not terribly familiar with failure rates.

Thanks.

Extended Warranty on a Notebook is about the only extended warranty I would ever purchase...I did a few emails with Dell about a broken lappy on a Monday morning. The next morning by 10am I had a new mobo installed. It was well past the one year deal and we did have extended warranty.

You didn't mention the cost....

A lot will depend on how much you carry it around and how well you treat it when you do carry it around.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

if the LCD breaks on a laptop, you might end up getting a new one because of the cost of parts and labor. an extended warranty with ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE coverage would be a wise investment, if the price is right.

I know a guy that "Dropped" his lappy down the stairs after it failed & had it replaced on his home contents insurance.

edit: or so he says!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I recently bought an HP manufacturer refurb laptop with a 3 year warranty for under $700US and I am a computer service technician. The warranty was only $99 and that would never cover the cost of a major repair if needed.

The store I was originally looking at sold the 3-year warranty for $270CDN... which is a tad pricey for a $700CDN notebook. A co-worker referred me to another store as he recently bought the exact same Compaq notebook and paid only $149CDN for their 3-year warranty. It's not quite as robust as the first store, but it's more reasonably priced and covers the essentials, including a replacement clause. Both warranties would be through large chain stores, so claims should get handle... tho not without a bit of red tape i'm sure.

I'm not terribly worried about accidents and dropping the notebook as i'm careful with my equipment and work with hardware daily. This notebook wouldn't see heavy use as in daily use or be used as a work tool... it's just for occassional wireless use around the house, coffee shops, travelling out of town to visit friends/family, etc. I've got ~$2000CDN in Nikon camera gear and don't have concerns about accidents or dropping it... all with factory 2- and 5-year warranties.

Thanks for the input tho. Sounds like warranties are seen as a good thing on notebooks...