Thread: Geforce 7950 GX2 XFX Awful 3dMarks

Geforce 7950 GX2 XFX Awful 3dMarks

Ok, I have a serious problem with my PC, I built it myself out of the highest quality components I could find yet my benchmark tests give me ~4800. The system Specs are in the attached file.

The Nvidia display tray seems to crash 90% of the time, I have updated the drivers and re-installed them countless times. When it does work, the option to use both of my monitors is not there, so I am currently only able to use 1 monitor.

Im hopeing you guys will know where to start on this, since I've completely baffled by it. I have updated my BIOS to F5, When the BIOS loads it does say it is version F5 (the latest version), but in 3dmarks it states that the BIOS is still on version F2. I have dual BIOS and once in a while when i start the computer it takes a while to load, then says the message "Warning!: running in safemode, please resetting speeds". I know the english is bad but its gigabyte ^^.

The mobo is a Quad-Royal Gigabyte set at SLI Normal
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry I can't seem to find the edit option :S. The RAM is:

OCZ® Special Operation Edition 2GB DDR2 PC2-5400 667Mhz, 4-4-4-12 Dual Channel Kit

The MOBO:
    Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal, nForce4, FSB1066 s775, DDR2, PCI-E x4, SATA2 Raid, Dual Gbit LAN, 8ch. Audio, Firewire, Bluetooth Dongle, ATX

Did you reinstall Windows fresh for this build? If not, you should. Old motherboard drivers may be the problem.

Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers before reinstalling?

Is the power supply a no-name piece? Did it come with the case? If so, it's probably junk.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The power supply is an X-Power 600 Watt Sli Pro it came with the X-blade Case from x-case.com

And yes, every piece of hardware is brand new therefore the windows installation was "pure" if you may (not that any microsoft product could be associated with pure), I also un-installed the drivers before re-installing them.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5104/compinfoix2.jpg Use this for info, the attachment does not work for somereason

Don't you think that it would have been easier to simply tell us?

1. Pentium D dual-core w/HT
    2. nVidia 7950 GX2
    3. 2 SATA hard drives
    4. 2 Optical drives.

Do you have any PCI cards?

Look - that's the older Intel dual-core CPU and it uses over 120W all by itself. The video card is dual-GPU too and uses about 250W or more. That is a demanding system. I would not use an included case power supply for it.

Do some testing. Unplug all drives except for the primary drive. Remove one stick of RAM too. If it behaves better, replace the power supply.
    MS MCP, MCSE

No, I thought it better you get all the details such as speeds, and stuff. I'd rather be thorough than not thorough at all.

With 1 RAM stick the computer will not load at all, the bios sems to be stuck in dual channel mode.

"Look - that's the older Intel dual-core CPU and it uses over 120W all by itself."

Whats the newer?

The new one is the Core 2 Duo. There was also a plain Core Duo until recently. The Core 2 Duo uses about half the power that yours does and is nearly twice as fast.

The motherboard should boot with one stick. If it doesn't, it's buggy. It should auto-switch single channel.

Humor me. I'm a bit tired of typing here. Unplug both optical drives and the secondary hard drive and test.
    MS MCP, MCSE