Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC randomly will not boot, no power is going through the MOBO

Hybrid View

PC randomly will not boot, no power is going through the MOBO

When i turn the PC off for the night then wake up I find no power going through it, My first thoughts are a dry joint, but all the components are brand brand new. When i tilt it, or punch it if need be the power usually suddenly flows back through the mobo. I have checked for lose connection on the mobo and power supply, but none are visable. Does anybody have any idea where to start on this?

On another note, sometimes it takes ages to start, then when the monitor comes on it says in the BIOS running in safe mode, please re-set speeds.

More info.

Overclocking? If so, set to default.

Motherboard model? Have you checked it for bad capacitors?

Motherboard old? Maybe you need a new battery.

Power supply brand? Wattage? Is it adequate for your setup? What components do you have?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Not overclocked, only just built the thing.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal, nForce4, FSB1066 s775, DDR2, PCI-E x4, SATA2 Raid, Dual Gbit LAN, 8ch. Audio, Firewire, Bluetooth Dongle, ATX

Bad capacitors? would i do that with a multimeter? and no i haven't that would take ages :O

PowerSupply: X-Power 600 Watt Sli Pro

Whe its started up, it stays started. It used to reset itself, but its stopped doing that now :S

You may have the finest of everything else, but the power supply is bargain-bin at £55. You should get a Hiper or an Antec.

The board is too new to have capacitor issues. Forget that.

Are you sure that the CPU is mounted properly and properly greased?
    When I asked about components, I meant drives and PCI cards. You need to compute the load on your power supply.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yes, I super greased the CPU. And all the hardware is brandnew, so the install was fresh.

The Comp build is in the attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files

Let's focus on the BIOS "Safe Mode" problem. This would indicate a very low-level issue. My guess is a poor power source, a bad motherboard battery or mismatched RAM (for your motherboard).

Another possibilty is that the CMOS Clear jumper is improperly set to "clear" you need to check that.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The board is jumperless, theres no cmos clear, theres an option in the BIOS to do it. The RAM is OCZ® Special Operation Edition 2GB DDR2 PC2-5400 667Mhz, 4-4-4-12 Dual Channel Kit with Spec Ops Camouflage Heatspreader

The attachment is .xml an excel thingy, ill try change it to html

I have a voltage and temp meter on the LCD display on the front of the case, what should i be looking for, it doesnt go above 40C for the CPU

Quote Originally Posted by SxSnipeR
    I have a voltage and temp meter on the LCD display on the front of the case, what should i be looking for, it doesnt go above 40C for the CPU
    You can't count on that. It tells you nothing. Look in BIOS setup. It tells you what the readings are and what they should be.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I can't open your attachment. You should save it instead as HTML or plain text.

Oh - in BIOS setup, you should view your temps and voltages in "PC Health".
    MS MCP, MCSE

Camo? Nice, but not very useful in a dark PC. The RAM is hidden pretty well to begin with, doncha think?

Well, your problem is with the motherboard, RAM, CPU or a combination thereof - *unless* it's the power. Check those readings.

Oh component list please. List all drives, cards and USB devices.
    MS MCP, MCSE

HAHAHA camo, ^^ yea, i just copied and pasted from microdirects website, the case is really bright :P. Open the .xml sheet with your browser and it should work fine. Thats got everything you need on it.

Ok, have check the temps in the BIOS, Its at a steady 43C and the voltage is shown as "default" theres no actual numbers.

Edit: Oh found it, its 1.184v

Right im screen shotting all the info
    Last edited by SxSnipeR; 09-13-2006 at 01:00 PM.

I can open that file in Excel, but it's unreadable. You open it and copy the text in it to Word or Notepad, please.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yea its not working, is all jabber even when I save it as anything else, I had to resort to screen shots, its not great quality, but its all imageshack would allow, since I can't remember my password to my ftp server I can't use it for now.

Try this image...

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5104/compinfoix2.jpg

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SxSnipeR View Post
    Yea its not working, is all jabber even when I save it as anything else, I had to resort to screen shots, its not great quality, but its all imageshack would allow, since I can't remember my password to my ftp server I can't use it for now.

Try this image...

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5104/compinfoix2.jpg
    Now resolved, was the PSU.

Thanks everyone.