Thread: What do you guys use to reduce power supply cable clutter ?

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar

What do you guys use to reduce power supply cable clutter ?

I have so many cables from the power supply all over my case, I could probably clean them up a little and improve airflow around my case by at least 15%

what do you guys use so the cables wont be all over the case ?

I currently have the cables connected to

1: 2 back fans just under the power supply
    2: 1 Side Window Fan
    3: 1 front bottom fan (intake)
    4: 1 HD Cage Fan
    5: 2x Hard Drives
    6: 2x Optical Drives (CD/DVD Drives)
    7: Video Card Connection
    8: Cold Blue Light thingy

I also have a bunch of the leftover cables tucked into a corner next to the power supply and on top of the optical drives since theres a bunch of space there
    Intel Core i7 920 | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P| 6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600| EVGA GeForce GTX 260 |Vigor Monsoon III LT| Antec Quattro 1,000W PSU | Windows 7 x64

I don't let it bother me. No one sees it but me.

When it matters, I use cable ties to force the cables into a single trunk running down the back of the drives. I then use a single large cable tie to secure the trunk to the drive that's least likely to go bad or be swapped out. You can use a stick-on cable tie anchor for that.

The rears are tougher. I shorten them as much as possible and twist them until they are almost one cable. I then cable-tie them to a rail or the PSU.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I twist my power supply cables outside of the case before I install the PS in the case. If you are careful, you can get a nice tight twist and the cables stay together easily. I then install the drives and use small cable ties to keep the wires out of the way. I also buy round IDE cables to make things cleaner.

There really is no ONE good way, depends a lot on the design and interier dimensions of the case. Sometimes there are places to tuck them, sometimes you have to use the two suggestions above.

I do sterls way quite often, wrap the PSU lines before installation. You can get many forms of colored electrical tape at any hardware store, pick the color you like or mix 'em up.

Round cables are a nice option as well, or you can round your own if you like.

I have been known to cut off extra lines from the PSU if I knew they were never going to get used, sometimes there are WAY to many power lines. Extra power lines can usually be tucked on top of the top CD drive if there is room.

80 wire cables are the best to control clutter as they keep whatever shape you give them so much better.

SATA, well, self explanatory.
    to many pc's to list

Nylon zip ties work well for me. Keeps the clutter down some. Also the rounde IDE cables help alot. Unused PS cables I tuck away where ever I can.

Funny, one of the things that used to bother me.... Stilll does somewhat , but seems evryones case layout is a bit different depending.

Most of it probably has to do with which PSU you have. Alot of the makers have ones with cable wraps as a plus and some do not. This has nothing to do with the computer operation regardless. I agree, though that it can be like looking at a mess of spagetti. Bill is correct as i used cable ties myself in the past.. look around and be creative. I have used string, small cord, bread ties, or whatever works.
    if you go to a hardware store, i think some plastic ties can be had that have the slip-in fastener. ( nylon zip ties ) They work real good.

I have this mess of molex extensions and other near my PSU and optical rom drives.. and i just stuff everything in that area or behind.
    When i get my new fan controller for the front case.. that will eleimate like 90% of that.. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    thanks guys, great tips
    Intel Core i7 920 | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P| 6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600| EVGA GeForce GTX 260 |Vigor Monsoon III LT| Antec Quattro 1,000W PSU | Windows 7 x64

Ultimate Member
    Spiral cable wraps are the best way ... goes on very easy
    and you can bring a connection point out just about anywhere
    you would want it.

Another alternate is split cable loom, like used in cars. This
    is best only when the wire will exit at the end, but you can
    cut notches in it, if a wire has to come out in the middle.
    As stated, zip ties will also work, but for neatness you want
    all your wires nicely against each other or it will look sloppy

I use wire ties and an Enermax liberty PSU.

I found that when you only have wires you need, they are easier to hide. I am still a slob, functionality over pretty but I do attempt to keep it somewhat neat. Well, maybe.

Careful planning and thought on the best way to route cables is the best policy.

Use of cable ties too.

Simply whacking all the cables in without any thought of tidiness and air flow concerns is not how I do it.

In future, a high-quality high-powered PSU that is modular in design will be the way to go. But it will not be the complete answer to cable concerns.

I have three SCSI HDDs uppermost, then a DVD-ROM and two DVD-+RWs. I have 4 300GB SATA HDDs. A graphics card, Creative Audigy sound card (which requires additional power), a SCSI adaptor (requiring additional power).

Although there is no way of getting away from the mass of cables I have in my system, I certainly do my best to route cables for my system and client systems. In fact I spend considerable time routing cables optimally as possible.

Plus there are 11 fans.

I agree with ya 'G' about the modular PSU option. I have a friend who has one of those and it always found it strange that inside his case it looks like hardly anything is there... very nice option
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Black plastic shrinkwrap gauze/tubing

Just need a hairdryer to gently melt the wrapping into a nice fit, plus all your cables are black so unless u have lots of lights inside, many of the cables are not visible. It is also not diff to spray paint the white molex ends to. Its the same stuff electricians uses. V handy but a bit of a bugger to undo/cut should the need arise to move stuff about.

And no the heat doesnt damage wires, connections and use cotton buds so no paint goes inside the molex contacts. .

Ultimate Member
    Ties at strategic points on the cables help with cables that are somewhat loosely held together and they act almost the same way as sleeves without the added cost of sleeves.

As for cable location, the easiest strategy factoring in that the motherboard, drives, and/or PSU may have to be removed is to use all the cables for what is needed, and keep a loose molex or two for additional drives in the future. Then, with excess that is remaining, bundle it together with a velcro strap and either shove it in the space between the top of the PSU and the case or, if none exists, in front of the PSU out of any major airflow paths.

Quote Originally Posted by G

I have three SCSI HDDs uppermost, then a DVD-ROM and two DVD-+RWs. I have 4 300GB SATA HDDs. A graphics card, Creative Audigy sound card (which requires additional power), a SCSI adaptor (requiring additional power).

Plus there are 11 fans.
    I think I just discovered the cause of global warming.

Heat Shrink and Cable Ties, and routing the excess cables into say a unused optical drive bay.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU