Thread: Back up

Back up

does anybody know where should I look for scheduled backups in my win2003 server ? I have looked at scheduled task and it dies not reflect whats getting backed up in my tape drive. I just inherited a win2003 system and have no clue whats going on. to make matter worse I am a newbie. trying to read a lot and learn fast. meanwhile if any of you guys can help.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    What backup program are you running? The schedule will be in there.

If you don't have a backup utility in your start menu and you haven't located one browsing in explorer, it's likely handled by the built in BU utility.

Start, then run. then type ntbackup and hit enter.

I inherited the win2k3 system with no documentation or no knowlege transfer. I am supposed to figure out myself as to what program is backing the server.
    -I saw veritas backup exe on the machine but it does not have any backup job shcheduled either.
    -There is server manager installed on the machine and when I go to backup option it says that I do not have permission to see this page. I need to be domain admin security member. I am domain admin but still it keeps saying that but it allows me to configure a new backup.
    -I ran builtin backup utility and could not find anything in there as well.
    -I never thought that finding which program is backing up could be that difficult. I am running out of ideas.
    help guys !

ntbackup is the default backup program. veritas backup exec is a third party app. both of them have the ability to create scheduled backups. if you don't see the backup job in task scheduler, then you'll have to open up one of those programs to create the job.

if you never worked with winNT/2k/2k3 server before, it'll be hard for us to help.

midknyte: Its not like I have not worked with servers before. Its just like I neved had to deal with somebody elses mess.
    Backup is alredy taking place every day on the tape drive. I see Drive C:, Drive D: and emails are getting backed up on the tape but the questions is how is it happening ? There is no job configured in Veritas, no job configured in server management and I do not see anything except
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssadmin.exe Create Shadow /AutoRetry=5 /For=\\?\Volume{a2488183-273d-11da-8c2c-806e6f6e6963}\
    Which is shadocopy of drive cGUID belongs to drive C). I don't know where else should I look. There is no other third part backup software instaaled on the machine. I am gonna pay with it tomorrow big time. I gotta get this figured out !