Thread: Installing AGP cards

Installing AGP cards

Hi guys,

Bit of a newb, so please bear with me! I bought an AGP video card for my Acer Aspire B300. After putting the card in the AGP slot, I couldnt get video to my monitor, either through the connection from the new card or from the on-board connection. I had to remove the AGP card from the motherboard to get video on my monitor again.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I am reluctant to uninstall the drivers for the on-board video in case I cant get the AGP card working. Is there ever a switch or something on the motherboard to disable the on-board video?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jaxon

Give that new board a harder push. Your video card is probably not seated correctly. With the card out, go into your BIOS and set it to look for AGP first. If you aren't sure how to do this let us know. AFTER you have done that, install the AGP card.

Make sure the card is seated completely. The bracket should be flush with the computer case (where the screw hole is) and you should not be able to see ANY of the gold on the actual agp connector when it is properly seated. If your motherboard has an AGP clip, it should snap nicely. If not, make sure the board is even by checking the 'overhang'. Ensure that the length of the board that overhangs the AGP connector is absolutely parallel with your motherboard. It shouldn't be angled away or toward the motherboard AT ALL.
    blah.

what card is it? many card require a molex connection also.

Thanks for the help . I do know how to set the BIOS to look for AGP first, so I will do that first. I have also borrowed a DVI -> VGA converter, as I have heard that some new cards are set to run through DVI as the default. That seems a little strange, but if it is as easy as running it through the DVI input during installation then switching it to VGA then I wont be complaining.

Anyway, I have a few strategies to try at least, so will have a crack when I get home and let you guys know if I have any more issues.

Thanks again,

Jaxon