Thread: Severe Problem

Severe Problem

Oh my goodness. There is something BAD WRONG with my computer.

Well, in the past few days I have completely re-installed Windows XP Home Edition 3 times. The very first time I had a problem was after I downloaded Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3. All of a sudden things stopped working and nothing would respond. After a long time of nothing happening. I got extremely frustrated and re-loaded Windows. I deleted the previous partition and created a new one. Then re-loaded it. Ok, so I put Zone Alarm Security Suite on there. I have the discs for both Windows Updates : Service Pack 1 & 2. They are both discs from Microsoft themselves. I've never had a problem with those.

Ok so I put both service packs on....then I get online and update my Zone Alarm completely BEFORE I attempt to get Microsoft Updates. Now here is the biggest problem. Every SINGLE TIME I go to get updates or ANYTHING from Microsoft, it completely messes up my computer. I mean BAD BAD BAD. Everything stops responding and the whole thing actually freezes. Sooo, this 3rd time after re-loading Windows, I created a restore point. I just attempted to get Windows Updates yet again. It did the same thing. So I just now did System Restore. I came here in utter dispair and vulnerability. I really need some help. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the whole Microsoft site? Can I still have some sort of infection after doing what I've done?

We're here waiting for a reply. I'm so desperate. I have no idea where to start. I know there is no way I can just go surfing the internet without full updates or I'll just end up with **** all in my computer. The only updates I have right now is both the Service Packs. I am NOT going back to Windows Updates, every time I do, it just messes my whole computer up. Please help me if you can. Any suggestions or possibilities are welcome. I'm 23, I haven't exactly learned everything there is to learn about it all. Hmmm what else can I say...Computer Specs?

EMachines T1090
    900Mhz Processor
    80Gig Hard Drive (upgraded from 20gig)
    192 MB of Ram (that's one 64 stick and one 128 stick: upgraded some)
    Windows XP Home Edition (Just Service Pack 1&2)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite (fully updated w/ Antivirus and Firewall protection)

All of that probably does no good. I'm sorry. I'll be awaiting a gracious reply. Thanks so VERY much in advance. Denette

first off, SP2 includes SP1. you only need to install SP2.

did you do memory and hard drive diagnostics yet? if not, download UBCD and run memtest and your hd manufacturer's diags (IE if you have a maxtor, run powermax).
    Tech Tools

try doing your updates BEFORE you load zonealarm. I personally don't like ZA and that could very well be the source of your problem.

Well yes, I've tried to turn off ZoneAlarm while getting the updates. I thought maybe it was interfering with it. And I know it sometimes does. I'll check out this link you left. Thanks for that note about the service packs. Very helpful. I didn't know anything about Memory or Hard Drive Diagnostics. Lemmie check out your link. I'm wondering if I have a worm or virus. I will reply as soon as I check out the link. Thank you so much.

I don't know what you mean. UBCD? The Ultimate Boot CD? There's no way I could download that. I'm on dial-up at 40 Kbps. *cries* I don't know what to do. I'm so sorry. I feel retarded.

Don't look to get anything fast today or tomorrow from MS as they have new patches released today and I'm sure their servers are busy with millions of pc's set to automatically receive and install critical updates.

But do check both your RAM and hard drive. You don't need to get the whole UBCD - just the app Memtest and the hard drive utility.

yes Ultimate Boot Cd. it's the first line on the link I posted.

Every user should have UBCD in their bag of tricks! ~ Midknyte
    UBCD
    the links are on Tech tools for the individual apps. UBCD has many of them packaged into one CD.

dial up? you should have said that in the first place. that's probably be the problem right there. The windows updates are a substantial download if you are updating from just SP2.

also set the background downloading option turned off ( or download updates in the background and notify me when they are ready to install OPtion should be Turned OFF ) choose the option do NOT download or notify me of updates .

Zone alarm should also be patched for SP2. try just using the windows Firewall untill u get the issue resolved .and NOT using Zone alarm .

IE7 Beta = bad choice at the moment . U have to remember you only have a 900 MHz PC . yes there was a time when it was the all powerfull machine . but not with Windows XP Sp2 .

192 Mb RAM means u have to choose the Option . Optimise for best performance . under system properties >
    Last edited by philocipher; 08-09-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Just don't install ZA. You don't need it anyway because you 're on dial-up and SP2 has a firewall. Understand that no self-respecting hacker is even going to bother with a dial-up PC. First, it's too slow and second, it gets a new network address each time you dial up. Zone Alarm is massive overkill.

Another thing - ZA is very intrusive. Even if you don't run it, it makes big changes to the system. If you must install it, wait until you're done with all your Windows updates. Be sure to set a restore point just before you install it too.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Make sure you are using ONE INSTANCE of Internet Explorer to download Microsoft updates. Years ago I was trying to download updates for Windows and Office at the same time with two different IE windows and nothing good became of it, believe me!

Of course I had another situation when I was using Internet Connection Sharing between my desktop and laptop. It wasn't very happy when they both tried to connect to MS for updates either!

Apparantly there is a problem with more than one connection to the update site on a single IP address.
    blah.

Yes, I've already adjusted it for better performance (as far as graphics). And before all this mess, I used to stop all Windows services that had anything to do with things I didn't need. Like remote connections, messenger, and fast user switching. I've always tried to keep things to a minimum as far as RAM usage. But yes, I HAVE noticed that ZoneAlarm takes a big toll on my computer. Not only that, but it asks me if I want to enable certain connections...and how would I know if I should?!

I'd like to thank everyone that has tried to help me. It means the world to me. I'm still having VERY bad problems. I suppose I'm going to re-do Windows again this morning and NOT load ZoneAlarm at all. I think I've tried that, but I'll give it a go again. I have the original Windows XP Home and a XP Pro disc. Which one is better for my old dinosaur? I have no idea. *sigh* Well, I'm gonna give it a go and use the original CD that came with this computer. Oh, and yeah, I always turn off automatic updates....God, if that comes on while we try to look at things online, what a mess. I'm hoping for a new computer in the near future. But until then, my poor self will have to try to fiddle with this thing. I swear, I am so grateful for your help. I'll be back to let ya'll know what happened.

Sincerely, Denette

This may not be related but I just did a complete reinstall of WinXP including SP2 and then went online for the latest updates yesterday [8/9]. Lots of critical issues, a few Office updates and two hardware updates [one for my ATI x1900XT vid card and one for my D-Link Network Adapter]. After installing and the forced reboot my system came back with the display hosed up. I wouldn't even call it 640x480 with 8-bit color - much worse. There were even some messages of New Hardware found but no details and nothing loaded. Had to go back to a Restore Point to come back to life. MOST IRRITATING. And this was after having to deal with the Microsoft Phone Home ordeal to Re-Activate, wherein I had to dictate the 54-number code FOUR times since they kept haning up on me. Don't ya just love MS?