Thread: Digital cable quality..

Digital cable quality..

My digital cable reciver recives data through coaxial then the reciver output data through component, composite, DVI, and HDMI.

Do video quality really improve?

Quote Originally Posted by ATI RADEON 8500
    My digital cable reciver recives data through coaxial then the reciver output data through component, composite, DVI, and HDMI.

Do video quality really improve?
    I don't think there is too much difference in video performance between component and DVI/HDMI. HDMI can also carry audio. DVI and HDMI are equal in video. Component video is analog and the other 2 are digital. There may be differences between each in video but it is most likely different in each individual system. In other words it is not cut and dry.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

I should add that composite video would definately be poorer video connection than any of the other options you listed.

Yeah but what I'm trying to say is how can this receiver output better quality when it recives data from coaxial cable?

Are you assuming that coax has limitations? If so, you're off. All video (satellite, cable and antenna) are transmitted via coax. It can handle a lot of data. HDMI doesn't "improve" the signal - it just maintains it.

Honestly, I don't understand the question. Nothing "improves" in a pipeline once it's degraded. Does water pressure increase when you put a bigger pipe on the end?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thats what I mean. I basicly wont be geting better video quality than what coaxial cable provide.

Pointless to buy diffrent kind of cable than what I got with it which is component cable when the quality wont get any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ATI RADEON 8500
    Thats what I mean. I basicly wont be geting better video quality than what coaxial cable provide.

Pointless to buy diffrent kind of cable than what I got with it which is component cable when the quality wont get any better than that.
    You won't get any better than what cable offers; my cable company offers HDTV quality signals with DD 5.1 sound. Like I said earlier you may or may not get better video quality if you go digital over component. It seems to be system dependent; meaning it depends on your equipment, wiring, cabling etc. The only way to find out is to try using a digital cable if your tv etc. supports them.

Check out Ecoustic's Answer.
    blah.

... Nevermind nobody seems to understand what I wish to know. Let this thread just end right here.

I do (I think). There is no way to improve on the original quality of the video (or audio for that matter). With ANALOG video, the quality will always be degraded as it flows along the signal path from one point to another. With broadcast quality equipment, the difference is negligible, but with consumer grade equipment, it will be obvious. A copy of a VHS tape, for example, will always be poorer than the tape it was made from.

In theory, digital video offers the ability to MAINTAIN the quality of the original, and that will be true so long as the signal quality throughout the signal path remains relatively good. If it gets really bad somewhere, then the quality will go down, but will manifest itself in dropouts rather than a bad image.

The bottom line is this: If you want good video, you have to have good video to start with, cuz it only goes downhill from there.

If there is some degradation along the way in his system; he may be better served by using a digital connection as it may show an improvement over component in his case. I'm not saying that using the digital connection will improve what he is receiving but that it may render it better; or may not. He needs to try to find out.