Thread: ATi Radeon 9250

ATi Radeon 9250

Hey, my computer has pretty good specs ( i think...)
    2.3 GHz
    2 gb memory
    120 gb harddrive

but the only thing im lacking is a video card that is remotely decent, my computer unfortunately did not come with a videocard slot for the new cards, it only came with one that supports the older ones like the 9200 series. All I want to be able to do is to play Halflife 2 or something like that, would this 256mb 9250 radeon be sufficient enough?
    my current card is this horrible 16 mb video card that came with my pc

thanks

Please tell us what type ( manufacturer and model ) of machine you have, or at least what type of expansion slot are available in the motherboard, AGP or PCI only.

A 9250 would run Half Life 2 at low detail probably a bit chuggy but alright. I ran HL2 on a 5200 PCI...yes it was VERY chuggy but at least it worked. Your probably saying the only kind of video card you can buy is a PCI one...there are some 6200 PCI's out: http://www.nulime.com/BFG-Technologi...030-c2652.html

As people will probably tell you, PCI is not going to give you super stellar performance, but from an economic standpoint it might not always be opportune to go out and buy a case, mobo, and video card. But the 6200 would work fine.

You must mean..the PCI express video cards..when you said your mobo does not support it.

Must be a AGP slot mobo , which is still going to play most games anyways FINE... maybe just not the FPS ( frames per sec. ) of the ladder mobos.

If you like ATI..then get a 9600XT. good card for medium to high end of that genration and it willplay HL2 great.

if your intent upon asticking with that rig.. and that is OK ( its what you have ) , then in a Nvidia series card.. get anything from the 5700 up to the 5900 series and you will be set to play anything.

The 9250 has shader problems with ohter games though. Quake 4 needs a 128MB interface at the minimum....in that card.. 9600 and above for ATI and you can play anything. ( mostly ..just not as high settings. in alot of games )

Another thing is that with some of these newer games... even HL2, other things come into play.it has to be able to support Direct X 9.0 (min. ) and be at least 128MB ram with a 256MB interface.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

sorry for lack of detail, it is a PCI only

thanks for the tips guys

Hi,
    A few days ago I got rid of my old pc and made built a new gaming one.

My old one only had pci not pci-e or agp. So I was forced to get a pci gfx card.
    I had a 9250 128mb and it played halflife 2 on low settings 800x600 on around 60 fps. I managed to overclock it by a large amount without that much heat gain and it wasnt such a bad card to have.

Although i came across a pci version of the nvidia 6200 which is a much better card. I would recommend that. I think I saw it for about £50 ish

Hope that helps lol

EDIT: Have just realised that bob05 suggested a 6200 as well, I think it seems probably the best to go for.

hey thanks...that does sound pretty cool to me

thanks alot