Thread: Can this Mem module run Dual Channel?

Can this Mem module run Dual Channel?

Please help.

I already have one chip 1gb CORSAIR ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 in my system (picture link below). My Asus board is able to support dual channel.

The question is ..can I just throw in another same chip and guarantee to have dual channel capability? Anyone have these chips running dual channel?

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...0C3+%2D+Retail

It should work in dual channel, but the only ones "guaranteed" to work are with the kits.

As long as its the same type memory it will be fine.

No you cannot.

True dual channel performance can only be obtained and utilised if you purchase matched memory module pairs that are sold as such (in kits).

The performance obtained with true dual channel memory module matched pairs is between 2-6 per cent. So the expense on some of the exotic memory module manufactures does not warrant the price. Moreover, the motherboard and its system BIOS must support dual channel.

Additional physical memory however, will be advantageous for memory intensive activities though, e.g., video editing. So in this regard you would get a performance increase during these activities and their equivalent.

I do not have matched pairs but I would consider it as it is easier to get the pairs at a reasonably price. Some esoteric pairs are ridiculously expensive and would not be for me.

Hey thanks everyone.

Man I'm getting nowhere near a definitive answer despite my research.

I think G is right in that dual channel performance can only be surely obtained by pairs sold as kit, despite we read that dual channel is a chipset thing.

Anyway, G, I don't think dual channel performance is only 2-6 % increase from single channel. It's twice the bandwidth delivered from ram. My Pent D805 operating at 533MHz is far below the 800MHz mark which I theoratically would get if I run my DDR400 in dual chan, no? Without OC, in dual chan I would get at least an increase of 24% (the difference between 400 & 533).

I meant in regards to the same memory bought as individual modules from the same manufacturer and then comparing this with matched pairs of the same memory modules from the same manufactures. That is where the figure comes from. It is a performance related percentage related to true dual channel performance not the throughput of the memory module itself.

Unmatched pair is 2-6 per cent less in performance than a true dual channel (match pair) configuration.

Uh, G, I have to disagree. You do not need to buy matched kits to obtain dual channel capability. The kits are part marketing and part peace of mind sold by the memory manufacturers. What they do is match memory modules in spec and performance for dual channel use. You can obtain dual channel performance by purchasing two modules not kitted as long as they are the same size, performance etc. And it's best to try to get the same bin.
    My main system has two 512 meg mods of Corsair XMS 3200 running in dual channel purchased at different times. A few months ago I purchased a 1 gig dual channel kit for another system for my media center, same Corsair XMS 3200. For grins and giggles I ran a test on the first system with the original memory and then the kit memory.
    The difference between the two was less than .003%.
    The 5 to 7% increase comes from running dual verses not dual configuration on most systems.
    Last edited by mobo57; 08-06-2006 at 11:47 AM.

I can give a more definite answer when I'm more knowledgeable within the physical memory, virtual memory, memory addressing etc domain.

Until then, I can only give what I think is the best answer.

However, I will go alone with what you say

I just buy lots of high-quality and dependable physical memory from Crucial or its equivalent and leave it at that.

To me memory is memory but obviously I know it is not, but my interests have tended to lie outside of memory domain of expertise, e.g., password cracking (Windows and Servers in under a minute ;-)) and file types, encryption cracking and encryption in general, backup and security and so forth. My interests lie with the security, defence of, and attack of systems.