Thread: Recommended High-Performance Workstation CPU (AMD - Intel) Present-2006

Recommended High-Performance Workstation CPU (AMD - Intel) Present-2006

Greetings,

Long time no see!

What are some of the most powerful, high-performance (speed and multitasking) workstation CPUs (32bit, 64bit) present to end-2006?

Most of my time is compiling software source code on windows and UNIX/linux platforms. I would really appreciate CPU(s) coupled with various necessities that will allow for maximum performance when developing and compiling multiple software projects simultaneously. For instance, nice to have CPUs that will produce maximum performance when compiling windows, linux, and watch DVD all simultaneously. The key is maximum performance especially multitasking.

Is the 64bit Opteron from AMD the answer? From my experience, the 64bit Opteron Dual Core is very impressive especially multitasking multithreaded applications. My only concern is CPU speed/price.

My workstation is running on 750 Athlon from AMD.

64bit Opteron Dual Core from AMD multitasking is impressive. Intel P4 EM64T Dual Core speed is impressive. (Is EM64T true 64bit architecture?)

What is most important: more bits (64bit, 128bit) or maximum CPU speed (present and future)?

How much does this CPU cost? What is its longevity in terms of not needing to upgrade?

What are some high-performance workstation CPUs (32bit, 64bit) for multitasking multithreaded applications on windows and UNIX/linux platforms present to end-2006?

Kuphryn

I think all of your questions can be answered by checking out the reviews for the new Intel line. http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191996 is the thread with all the reviews. Any of them will show you how the performance benchmarks differ for the various tasks you mention, and most of them have pricing of the new cpu's as well as comparisons to existing prices.
    As far as how often you should upgrade depends on how 'bleeding edge' you want to be. 3 years is approximately the lifespan of performance v. technology...on a poorman's bell curve.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For a while Amd dual processors held the multitasking title now Intel is sweeping (has swept) the titles with the conroe.
    As far as which is best, the intell seems to have a slight edge in performance per dollar IMO.
    But I am an AMD fan and like to root for the underdog.
    Enjoy!

If you're looking for a work class processor, try and find a good Woodcrest chip. It has better performance per clock than Conroe, but it may use a little more power than Conroe too.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

It looks like coding and compiling is your top priority, then I'd say go with the most cores, highest speed Intel cpus coupled with HyperThreading you can afford. AMD is nice for gaming but Intel HT is an essential technology if you plan to do multi-thread apps, not to mention Intel has de facto standards in 64bit and virtualization, and a much bigger market of servers where your apps will eventually end up running on.

Actually it should be a no-brainer's decision
    Last edited by user0209; 08-05-2006 at 04:34 PM.

hmm interesting i'd always go amd
    WahreZ

"this is me breathing" - Martin Blank.

Very cool!

Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe

I'm looking at the 2.x ghz CPUs. Price difference is over $200 when going from 2.1 -> 2.4 -> 2.6, but from my limited experience the higher the clock speed the better (lasts longer without needing to upgrade). How important is clock speed of Intel Conroe?

Kuphryn

They are overclockable, but the multiplier is locked (except for the X6800 Core 2 Extreme chip, which is over $1000), You're going to see a greater jump from each step up clock for clock than was seen on the Pentium 4 line of processors, simply because Core 2 processors are much more efficent in how the perform compared to Pentium 4's. The sweet spot in my opinion is around the E6600, which is a 2.4Ghz Chip and runs about $320 (probably a little more due to high demand)

That's my opinion. I've done a lot of research on Core 2 Duo's and their capabilities. Above is the conclusion I've come to.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

appreciate all posts and inputs about both CPUs

looking forward to sharing this journey with a new high-performance workstation powered by Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe

Kuphryn

Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6600 (2.4ghz) CPU is fast

New system compiles multiple software projects while processing media (DVD, divx, and audio, etc.) at the speed of light. (500% improvement) Multiple cores CPU significantly improves performance of multithreaded software architectures.

Kuphryn