Thread: Normal OC of X2 3800 ..rebooting

Normal OC of X2 3800 ..rebooting

While reading a post here about all those who ssem to OC this CPU ( I know it will and does ) , I have always wanted to get this CPU to a higher GHZ some since it will handle it.. and I seem to have enough on the ram and PSU specs. to do it ..so I did ( a poster here who is right on and knowledgable listed the steps for me to do it as we both have the same mobo and CPU.

Initially, the OC worked ..and for the most part operation and perormance all around were good and yes it was faster... but.... then I stated to get random reboots.. which is and were not an arbitrary thing but would always reboot after so long.. or running any intensive program or game. A couple of times while running one of these programs i got a big freeze and that horrible high pitched sound from my box. OH OH.. I thought.

Questions arise as to why this is doing this. Seems like it works fine ( the OC ) and so zI loaded SpeedFan and CPUz and looked at the PSU voltage readings and they were stable . Nothing abnormal there.
    from my limited knowledge of such things.., I know eough that I believe it just might be the PSU or the votage settings which are set to 1.4V in the CPU bios section.

I also know that this is a typical thing that happens upon occasion to others or many and sometimes it works just fine.

Whatever is causing this is something very basic in OC circles. Nothing else is happening or is going wrong upon this OC. ( running at 2.4 GHZ )

Ok... Why is this doing this?? Is it the votage settings?? the Ram?? the PSU itself , or other settings??

I use an AGP card on a dual AGP /PCIE board and upon normal DDR400 settings at 2.0GHZ I never ever get a reboot. Plays any intensive high end program great.

An interesting question I have is that in the CPU settings ( bios ), i had to put the CPU on PCIE Async... and the 'lock PCIe to 100 and set the dram on DDR333 , along with upping the system bus to 240.

Now.. I am a completew novice at OC and it isn't needed, but still it should work fine without reboots.. that is unless the ram or PSU and votages are amiss. ( I have excellent ram ..but its old with very good timings 2-3-2-6 )

Virus porgram is runing and don't beleive its any viruses as i just updated and ran a scan earlier.

Excuse me for always being so lengthy in my writing.. as it must be my inherent writers nature to do that.

Please give some real answers rather than telling me to read some OC forum as I have those already.. Thks for any help here LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Do I really need a better CPU cooler than the stock one for an X2 3800 CPU?

For sake of argument, I already have decided to get a little better heatsink/Fan for my CPU ( X2 3800 ) in the near future.. but just for sake of discussion or argument.., does the average user of a dual core CPU really need one??

After having run my older Intel system ( high end ) for a couple of years ... I did buy a good HS/Fan for my socket 478 Intel CPU.. as thier cooler was barely adequate at best. My new cooler lowered my temps like 7-8 degrees and thats big.

In my mind overall, I am a believer now that any CPU only benefits from some of the good products that are out on the market for cooling solutions ( provided one does his homework and picks a good dependable one )

I tried to OC my CPU some yesterday..and it worked for awhile but got reboots, but that had nothing to do with the CPU. I say this because alot of you DO O.C. your CPU's ...and use a good cooler to help.

More than likely I will get a TT, Zalman or CoolerMaster.. already picked the two I want most... Thks for your thoughts and have a nice day
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

did you look at the A64 OC guide in best of CPUs?
    AMD Athlon 64 General Overclocking Guide

you should loosen the timings on the ram a bit. 2-3-2-6 is very tight, so you probably won't get much higher than DDR400 until you loosen them up.

If you plan to OC, then you should upgrade the cooling.

over the years I have experienced numerous causeds of random reboots and blue screens, Here are some that I figured out;
    too high a buss frequency for the onboard audio to handle. fixed with a cheap audio board.
    onboard voltage regulation couldn't handle the processor demands at high usage, powersupply was not excessivly loaded but the voltages on the cpu would sometimes drop below a critical level- had to back off on the overclock as it was a mobo issue.
    Too much overclock for the bios-went to a newer factory bios, or an uber or modded bios and got an even higher and stable OC.
    The mobo did not like the brand of ram- backed off on the OC then went to a more compatible ram.
    Northbrige oveheating, cooled northbridge better with a different heatsink.
    Contamination in the heatsink compound- removed and reapplied AS5, found a small fiber less than 0.00025" thick.
    Dust bunnies in the heatsink- clean it a couple of times a year.
    some times the processor or the mobo just seems to get tired and will not overclock as well- reduced the OC
    Loostened ram timings for incresed stability.

Things I havent had a problem with;
    Powersupplies, everytime I change one it is not the problem., even when they are obviously too small.
    heatsinks, your monitoring software will normally give an overheating indication, which should initiate an upgrade.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-31-2006 at 10:49 PM.

It's time to play detective;
    Locate a good monitoring program for your mobo and watch it while you are running the machine. look for commonality is the cpu voltage changing or the fanspeed or is the cpu temp experienceing somthing that allows you to predict failure. Does it always fail at the same point in prime 95? if you go to stock speed setting and run the same level of work through the machine does it behave the same way? If not is the temp or voltage or fanspeed etc significantly different .
    Have you tested the memory since the problem manifested?
    Has the weather gotten warmer (if the comp room is not air conditioned)? (cost me a processor once. It ran fine in the winter but cooked at just over the safe settings when the weather changed (no air conditioning)).
    What are the memories' recommended voltage levels and latencies looser is normally more stable. try cranking them all looser then if no failures happen you can tighen them untill failure then loosen slightly. Are you running an automatic overclock program? if so check for a newer version.
    Search the internet for sites that have modded bois and look for similar problems that are solved or helpd by the mod. look at the forems around your mobo's mfr website that have people who might have complained of similar issues, some times a newer bios helps, sometime they actually hurt overclocks. (always save a copy of the old bios).
    Knowing you, slightly, I doubt that you have truely pushed the envelope on your OC so I tend to agree that the solution once found will likely be simple.
    Enjoy!

Well, as an update i reverted back to my original settings. I had to or no doubt it would have rebooted while writing this.

I appreciate your answers and will look into the AMD OC guide and other such.., if and when i try it again.. Thanks esp. HappyJoe forf all the critigues and info.. it probably helps to understand.

All in all I believe it may juust be voltage timings and even the ram like you sated Midknyte. Something to tinker with down the road after the HSF is gotten.
    I would love to get either more ram or actually diff. more up to date ram.., although what i have is really good stuff.. I know as i have used it for a long while. No glitches at all in current setup.. Nothing ever hangs.. Just fast as can be for this CPU.
    ( boy it was soo fast with the OC while it lasted )

You know how we all have had a computer for quite some time and then we upgrade..? In front of us then is a whole new beast and in my case since I bought a dual core for sake of speed and other.. I am not dissapointed in the least.
    My computer ( rap on wood ) is running flawless ... and that includes internet and anything else under the sun ..,and I could go so far as to say... OC'ing is really not even a minor priority with me. its fast..,it works good and what more can I ask??

Since the CPU prices are soooo.. low and I mean low.. I just wish I had waited and bought a X24800 or ?? I am very happy with this CPU. Excellent product.

I did a quick scan of some sites and their are a significant number of memory controller failures amonst people who have removed their intergalheat spreader (I doubt that you have done this)
    There is some discussion that the heatsink mounting cam can occasionally cause the heatsink to not seat completely flat on the processor if it touches the heatsink side.
    Also BF1942 and a few other games seem to cause rebooting problems as do some creative sound cards.
    Some people are saying that voltages above 1.55 are bad also.
    I haven't seen anything that looks exactly like your issue. but I would closely monitor temps for a while. and I would not run prime 95 when overclocked as these processors do not seem to take heat well.
    Enjoy!

I'll say one thing about you Joe.... You are persistent... I feel kind of special getting all this attention. LOL Thanks buddy for your efforts....

yes.., in computing reality , it could be a number of different things... abeit one particular thing among many.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 08-01-2006 at 03:57 AM.