Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Norton GoBack stopping my computer from starting up?

Norton GoBack stopping my computer from starting up?

Hi there, i'm having rather serious issues with my PC at the mo, I'm using Windows XP SP 2 and i have Norton GoBack installed but the **** thing keeps restarting before the log in screen so i can't access the computer at all.

I haven't had any major problems with the comp before, and i've had it for about a year but i had just installed and was playing a new game and it crashed, now when it starts up Norton Goback gives an error message saying: "Norton GoBack rebooted your computer because it detected your system was unstable. Allowing it to continue running would have caused corruption on disk #1."

The computer then goes to the windows error screen allowing you to choose to: start the computer in either the 3 safe modes or the last working windows configuration, however which ever option i choose the comp restarts before getting to the login screen and the whole process starts again! I've tried using GoBack to make the computer go back a few hours (before the game was installed, which i'm guessing is the problem) but its had no effect. It does give the option of disabling GoBack but it gives a warning that it would no longer be able to restore data from the past so im not sure if i should do this.

Really sorry that this post is so long-winded guys but it's so frustrating! If anyone can give me any advice i'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

Welcome to SysOpt
    You say this started after installing a game? ...was it a game you bought from a store and installed off CD/DVD, or a game you downloaded off the web or through a P2P? If you have the means, you can burn a virus scan iso onto a cd/dvd, boot to dos via a bootable floppy or cd, and scan for virus'.

If you're unable to even log in via safe mode, you're about out of options. Stick the Windows CD in and do a repair install. Once complete, do a test of the hard drive to make sure it isn't bad sectors, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm going to tell you how to disable GoBack. I hope you have a floppy drive.

I'm also going to recommend that you NOT use GoBack because it's too intrusive. You should purchase a 2nd hard drive (or at least partition your current drive in two parts) and use Norton Ghost 2003 instead. It only runs when you want it to and you can restore the PC in 30 minutes average. You can use Ghost 2005 too, but it does run in the background. Ghost 2006 does the same, but it's piggy and can make gaming sluggish. Older is better, basically.

1. Make a bootable floppy. You can download this one:

http://people.jyu.fi/~eejuviik/utils/boot622.exe

2. Download the GB_PROG.EXE file I've attached here, unzip it and copy it to the boot floppy after it's made.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/attachme...achmentid=8633

3. Boot up with the floppy and run GB_PROG /u at the A:\ prompt.

4. Boot into Windows and uninstall GoBack.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Cheers for replying mate!
    Yeah to be honest it was a downloaded game :-( so my bad really, if i did do the windows repair install does that mean i would lose all the data that i had on my computer previously? Also how do i get the comp to start up in DOS and put a virus checker onto a disc? sorry but im a real n00b at this kind of thing.

Thanks for the help

ahhhh unfortunately my comp doesn't have a floppy drive, thats really annoying! thx for trying to help me out here though, im really grateful.

You MUST disable GoBack before doing anything else. Use the startup menu do try that and then uninstall it.

You can buy a Norton AV CD. They are bootable and reasonably priced. You can also try building your own rescue CD:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

It ain't easy, but you can do it if you have a few hours.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Disabling GoBack isn't working either, it just says there's an error and then tries to restart then freezes so i have to manually switch it off and on again. Is there any way to uninstall it without needing to be at the desktop?

I've got a disc that will allow me to reinstall windows, however it says that it will wipe off everything i had on the hard drive so i only want to use that as a last resort really

I'm going to say this only one more time, so pay attention:

You MUST uninstall GoBack before doing anything else. Period. End of discussion. You can't reinstall Windows, repair Windows or format the hard drive until you remove GoBack.

Got that?

The easiest way to do this is to finagle a floppy drive and do what I recommended earlier. You can buy an internal one for $10, a USB one for $20 or borrow one for free from a friend. Many laptop users have USB floppy drives. Ask around.
    MS MCP, MCSE

okay ill try that, cheers

I am having the exact same problem. I have tried everything from a new HD (without GoBack) to replacing the MoBo. I get the EXACT same GoBack error on my main HD though. When I try to reformat it crashes and when I try to restore to before the problem it crashes. :/

I also downloaded those files you gave to the other guy, but the GoBack file won't fit on the floppy with the boot software.
    Last edited by KainWeylin; 07-25-2006 at 08:53 PM.

As the previous posts state, you need to remove goback completely.

if you are just going to reformat the drive anyway, you can either zap or zerofill the drive.

Tech Tools

Haha, I just finished editing my post saying the GB.Exe or whatever won't fit on the floppy.

GB_Prog.exe is only 477k. download GB_Prog.zip, unzip, then put GB_Prog.exe onto a boot floppy. if you don't have other junk on the floppy, it should fit just fine.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/attachme...achmentid=8633

you can download a win98 boot floppy image here:
    www.bootdisk.com

You can make a basic bootable floppy in XP. Put your blank in, right-click the drive and select Format. Select "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".

The GB_PROG file will then fit easily.
    MS MCP, MCSE

A basic BIOS flash floppy will work too:

http://s93616405.onlinehome.us/bootdisk/drdflash.zip
    MS MCP, MCSE