Thread: Sound "Not working"

Sound "Not working"

I am running XP pro on a Dell Dimension computer with a Soundmax digital sound hardware. It plays and records sounds just fine. However, it seems NOT to work with AIM Phoneline (Voicemail messages are "blank"). AIM says to use the "check sound hardware" from the Voice tab of the control panel Sounds utility. When I do that, I am told "Your hardware cannot play sounds", which is obviously wrong.
    What do I do? AFAIK, Phoneline is the only application that has that problem, but now that the hardware wizard also says that I can play no sounds, I am baffled....
    Thanks for any suggestion.

Do you notice any hardware conflicts or unknown devices in Device Manager?

If so, you could try removing them, along with any other audio-related devices, restart, and reinstall the audio drivers.

Sorry-- I forgot to mention that I searched for but found NO CONFLICTS or question marks in the device Manager. I could easily believe that the MS hardware wizard is simply wrong, but AIM Phoneline does not work, so...

I'm not familiar with AIM Phoneline, but I've installed and configured Skype, another VoIP program. IIRC Skype configures mic volume control with Mute box checked in Control Panel/ Sounds & Audio/ Volume; find Mic control under Properties if it's not in Advanced Controls.

As I said in the original post, ALL other programs that use sound work fine, including Skype.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Uninstall SkyPE and see if it works then.