Thread: Excellent Cable Management System

Excellent Cable Management System

I'm looking for something like the below.

Some years ago, I saw an old AT tower case with an excellent cable management system. I'm trying to draw a picture with words here.

It was two rails attached to the back of the tower case and had plastic hooks to organize and wrap some of the cable lengths around. The third piece was a cover.

The rails had vertical slots and the plastic cover would slide into the slots in the rails. When in place, the cover hid the hooks, cables et al and all the cables exited the bottom with exactly the proper length to get to their appropriate home.

This cover was just a flat piece of perforated (for ventilation) plastic and could be trimmed for different widths of cases.

IOWs, the rails fit on each side of the back of the case and made the case look about two or three inches deeper and they were about 20 inches tall. They looked like they could be trimmed for different case heights.

Recently, I started looking for a cable management system like this and didn't find anything on line or in stores that was even close.

Has anyone seen these or know of a source?

Thanks,

John B.

nope, but you are right, i too hate all the wires flying around the case

i usually hide them behind the 5.25" drive bays with some of those cable ties and attached it behind.

or try to keep the least slack (so they make a straight line) as possible for some that are not long enough to be hidden somewhere else.

as for those Old AT cases with excellent cable management, i'm using one of those as we speak and it's in the process of being Modded with some windows, fans, neons, etc, etc... to bring it up to date with my other systems

and that is being converted from AT to ATX (had an old thread about it)

and that ugly beige... still deciding if i should make an actual Artistical painting on it, or just quickly and easily paint a solid color on it.

but haven't decided what color if solid color, or maybe i'll just put some huge stickers all over it

what is driving me nuts, is what to do with the Front, and all those CDRW / CDROMs

they are all beige, i want to keep the CDRWs/CdROMs/FDDs in their original colours, but... is hard to find some matching "theme" for that annoying color, if they were White it'd have been easier.... mmmmhhhhfff..... oh well i'll figure it out later

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

To me it looked like an accessory add on to the case and ought to fit most any tower.

Can't believe something like this was on the market at one time and is not available now.

As far as color scheme for your old case, sometimes two or three shades lighter or darker looks good - just enough difference for contrast.

How about taking one of the face plates to the local paint or hardware store and compare its color with some paint chits. One shade or another may appeal to you or give you a better idea. Then look for spray enamel that's close.

John B.

Pick up split-loom tubing from RadioShack:

Next, get wire wraps or mille ties:

Trim the tubing to the proper length and insert all the cables into the tubing. Wrap the tube whenever a cord enters or exits the tube. A tad time consuming, but possible. I had a PC case located on a shelf above my desktop once and managed all the cable this way. Actually, I had two different tubes; one for power and one for data cables.
    blah.

Hello dmoltrup,

And thanks for the reply.

That's kinda like what I'm doing now and it looks pretty good.

Your post gives me an idea - I have some Velcro cable ties and could punch a hole in four of them to mount under the case screws on the back. That would at least keep the excess cable lengths confined to the rear of the case.

What I'd prefer is a system where all the excess length is hidden by an enclosure at the back of the case as I have several external USB & IEEE 1394 devices.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

John B.