Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New technology to kill Sony's PS3

Quote Originally Posted by JediOfDarkness
    limited to 1080p, only up to 1080i.
    I love how all of the people that own Xbox's say we're just Sony fanboys, when they're playing on a far inferior console and think they're just being "smart"
    Who said you where a sony fanboy??

And could you give me a that link showing where Bluray holds up to 200GB.

OK, I gotcha now... pay $500 for an Xbox 360 with an HDDVD drive, or $500 for a PS3 with a better processor (stats prove it), a better media player, better graphics... no wait, what? I guess I don't understand the logic in that. Oh well, I guess I'm just not as "smart" as you Xbox people.
    Athlon 64 X2-3800 @2400MHz
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    GeForce 6800 GT @ 410/1100
    2048MB OCZ DDR550 2-3-3-8
    120gb Seagate / 160GB Seagate HDDs
    480W Enermax Whisper II
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer

I'll get you that link about Bluray after I get home from work, I've got to leave right now.
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    480W Enermax Whisper II

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    And could you give me a that link showing where Bluray holds up to 200GB.
    yea. I'd like that link too. I thought the limit was somewhere in the 30-50GB range. It was when I checked it the last time.

If you can prove it, I'll give you a cookie.

EDIT: amazing what you can find when you google "blu-ray"

http://www.blu-ray.com/media/

At the moment, the ceiling is 50GB. If there's going to be higher density discs than that, those discs probably won't be compatible with PS3.
    Last edited by MadPistol; 07-13-2006 at 10:32 AM.

ok. so I did a little research, and honestly, I can see where he got the 200GB's from now. Here's a link:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/

If you go down to the capacity section where it compares HD-DVD to Blu-ray, you'll see that the "highest test" is 200GB. I must admit that's a lot of data. However, that kind of availability is far from reaching the consumer market. For the moment. we're going to have to be happy with mere 25GB and 50GB discs.

Also, is it just me, or do A LOT more companies support blu-ray than HD-DVD? If I had to bet on this issue, all of my money would go to say that Blu-ray will be the new standard in optical media when the smoke clears.
    Last edited by MadPistol; 07-13-2006 at 10:46 AM.

OK, I gotcha now... pay $500 for an Xbox 360 with an HDDVD drive, or $500 for a PS3 with a better processor (stats prove it), a better media player, better graphics... no wait, what? I guess I don't understand the logic in that. Oh well, I guess I'm just not as "smart" as you Xbox people.
    Why are you getting all upset?

Better media player? so you have seen it at work on the ps3? Have you played the PS3? As smart as us Xbox people? This is the first Xbox I have owned or bought for that matter; if the PS3 is better Ill buy one of them to simple as that. but I don’t think that’s going to be the case, until I can play some real world games not demo's or sneak peeks on E3 then ill make my mind up if I want to buy one or not. I’m not an Xbox Fan boy I like the system simple as that that’s why I bought it, I don’t buy products based on who I love or like.

I'm not getting upset, your post before just sounded like you were putting down the PS3 saying that it wouldn't be as good as a Xbox 360, without even giving it a chance. I was really just mearly saying that the Xbox 360 only has DVD, unless you pay an extra $100 for the HD-DVD addon, which brings the total to $500, the same cost as the PS3 with Bluray (which will also play DVDs, and possibly HD-DVD buy I'm not 100% sure about that). I was mearly trying to compare the two medias, and HD-DVD is based on an older technology. The thing that really comes to my mind, is that some Xbox 360 games might try to take advantage of the HD-DVD technology, and if they do, then that would mean ANYONE that wants to play that game would be forced to by the HD-DVD addon. That wouldn't be the case on the PS3, as all the games would be in the Bluray media. I just think that it was a really stupid decision on Micro$ofts part for not making HD-DVD standard on the system, or make the jump to a new technology like Sony did. I had a link to some media technology somewhere that claimed to have a storage capacity of 1TB, and one of the console companies should have jumped on that. I'll look for that link too and post it if I can find it. But you're right in saying that you can't really say it IS better yet since we haven't used it. And I didn't mean to refer to YOU as an Xbox fanboy, just that a lot of people will back the Xbox on everything and not give the PS3 a chance. I've played the Xbox 360, many times in fact, and the only thing I can say about it is that I'm not impressed in the slightest. Micro$oft claims that games haven't taken advantage of it's power yet, but neither have games taken full advantage of the PS2, or computer systems for that matter. Just to me the Xbox 360 can't do ANYTHING that my computer can't do.

Edit: Does anyone else see my signature? For some reason when I posted it put my signature in, or at least on my end it did... wierd.
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    480W Enermax Whisper II

Ye I see your Sig but I dont see mine for some reason.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

I see your sig now... they must have turned sigs back on. Been a long time since I've seen those
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    480W Enermax Whisper II

Honestly that's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard... how would the system know that the game has been played in another system?
    Exactly my thoughts. Sounds stupid.
    Last edited by RockNRoll; 07-14-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Watermarks on the CD's I guess who knows when your dealing with large companies what lengths they will go to, to stop Copying of the games, who knows what they will do.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core